Franny Lee - the player

Seem to remember the media fawning over their centre half Steve James in the week before the match (see, nothing changes over the years in that respect), as he was proudly boasting that he was "potentially the best centre half in Europe". After Franny's hat-trick, Brian Kidd scored to make it 1 -4, and the open end (where we were) burst into spontaneous derisory applause.
Gerald Sinstadt mentioned the "sporting" City fans - we were taking the piss!
Didn't Mike Doyle open the scoring at the Stretford End?
Yes, with a header as I recall.

Just watched highlights on YouTube of that 1-4, it was also the game that Best ruined Pardoe's career.

Great player who would shoot at every opportunity something we don't see much these days. Should have won more England caps.

I have a few favorite memories. One was the training ground free kick, first game of the season at a sunny Maine Road, where they played a one-two around the Norwich wall and he scored it.

The second was the game where he protested to the referee about a dive (George Best, I believe, in 71?) and reenacted it for him, getting serious air and a completely horizontal body position! Fucking hilarious, and a yellow card, but well worth it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.