Franny Lee - the player

Spent a day at Haydock races with him in the early eighties. Threw money at bets like no tomorrow, even photo finishes (those were the days) sitting at his table and enjoying the banter. I had grown up watching him as one of my heroes and I was tongue tied. My dad (a blue) however ripped him all day about diving -' don't trip on that chair leg will you Francis' - he must have heard that a thousand times - very embarrassing but he played up to it. Top bloke.

Lee, Bell, Summerbee, Young and Coleman....what an attacking line up we had. Four of those five would be near priceless in today's market. Franny was a pocket dynamo, quick enough to play on the wing before he and Buzzer changed roles, sharp and aggressive enough to play as a centre-forward. Everything about him was 'bullish', he was confident, brash, feisty, intelligent and very determined. Was fortunate to share a dinner table with him at a golf club charity event and he was excellent company.

I have a few favorite memories. One was the training ground free kick, first game of the season at a sunny Maine Road, where they played a one-two around the Norwich wall and he scored it.

The second was the game where he protested to the referee about a dive (George Best, I believe, in 71?) and reenacted it for him, getting serious air and a completely horizontal body position! Fucking hilarious, and a yellow card, but well worth it!
Thought that was the Charity Shield match v West Brom, but , yes, a cracker.

Great player who would be great in any era, PB has nailed it, Tevez is the nearest modern equivalent. He was brilliantly complimented by Colin the King, Buzzer & Nelly Young. Great times!

Qtr final v Tottenham 69 got very y close to a draw at Maine rd but Franny had other ideas, United Kicked off 30 mins earlier in Trafford losing 1 nil to an alan ball goal for Everton who we played in the semi at villa park, outside and in Manchester was very interesting after the games had finished

Qtr final v Tottenham 69 got very y close to a draw at Maine rd but Franny had other ideas, United Kicked off 30 mins earlier in Trafford losing 1 nil to an alan ball goal for Everton who we played in the semi at villa park, outside and in Manchester was very interesting after the games had finished
Yes that was a good Saturday afternoon,I was stood on the Kippax and town was a bit fun afterwards.By the way Joe Royal scored for Everton.

Yes that was a good Saturday afternoon,I was stood on the Kippax and town was a bit fun afterwards.By the way Joe Royal scored for Everton.
XG yes your right was joe royle, remember being about 500 meters from Maine rd when 100s rags turned up as they'd kicked off 30 mins earlier, very interesting though they didn't come for trouble, all ran towards town chanting Manchester , couldn't see that happening now

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.