Freedom of Information Act, question.

Lancet Fluke

Apologies for the boring nature of this thread. I applied to my local council for access to emails and letters regarding a proposed school closure under the freedom of information act. I have today received the bundle of stuff and it is pretty obvious to me that they have picked and chosen what they have sent me. Looking at the amount I have been sent, I don't believe it is everything that I asked for and they expect me to believe that there are various periods of two weeks at a time with no letters or emails being exchanged on the subject just before important council votes on the closure. Does anyone know whether I have any further rights or is it just tough shit and I have to take their word for it?

Considering they can refuse to give you anything if they so wish you've done well.

If your request is turned down

Some sensitive information might not be available to members of the public. If this is the case, the organisation must tell you why they have withheld some or all of the information you requested.

An organisation can turn down your request if they think it will cost them more than £450 (£600 for a central government organisation) to deal with your request.

They might then ask you to be more specific so they can provide the information you’re looking for.

If an organisation doesn’t provide you with the information you request, you should first contact them and ask them to review their decision.

If you are still not satisfied, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

I've been involved with a campaign recently and we asked for information from the council
At the end of their e-mail response that contained the info requested is this message

If you remain dissatisfied with the handling of your request or complaint, you have a right of appeal to the Information Commissioner at:

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Yours sincerely

Miriam Wallace
Solutions Team
Cheshire West and Chester Council

denislawsbackheel said:
Considering they can refuse to give you anything if they so wish you've done well.

Thought they could only refuse if they deem the request frivolous or if it will cost them over £600 to gather the info? I've just noticed that an important email that I have seen and know exists is not included in the bundle so I know they have fobbed me off with the unimportant shit.

Cheers for the info MM and TPP. I think if I can show that a specific email is missing I can probably get somewhere with a complaint. I wasn't sure how far I would get if I was just saying that I suspected they hadn't given me everything but had no evidence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.