Freesat advice

smeeagain

I have just binned off sky in favour of iptv , they want their Q boxes back ,
my question is , can i buy a freesat box and use their dish and cable , ie just plug it in ?
this is for the bedroom and a back up in case i lose iptv
thanks for any help

my question is , can i buy a freesat box and use their dish and cable , ie just plug it in ?
thanks for any help
Yes

thanks for any help
Yep, that’s what we did

But we didn’t have Sky Q

thanks for any help

What make of TV do you have?

Err, no.

The Q system uses a wide band LNB (the bit on the end of the arm pointing at the dish). It's not compatible with a Freesat feed or a Sky HD box .

Unless Sky installed a hybrid LNB at the time which would only have happened if it was requested they need to fit a Freesat compatible one or a hybrid so it doesn't need changing again in the future.

As Centurian mentioned a standard dual LNB or hybrid will fit the bill.We still have Sky Q at the moment but bought a Humax 1100s for when we eventually give them a swerve.The box will give you a terabyte of recording if you are advert allergenic like us.Nip on to the Amazon and the lnb's are around £10-15 and non too technical to install.No realigning of the sat dish required and just a few screws holding it in situ.My problem will come at ladder climbing time but there is no way I am paying a ton for a ten minute job when the parts are only a ten spot.

Last edited:
Good question as the TV could have a built in satellite input so just needs the LNB sorting with no need for an external box.

Edit: Of course you can't record using just the TV so an external box may be preferable.

most of the modern tv now have a cable slot built in that you just screw the sky cable into the new tv and you pick up freeview

most of the modern tv now have a cable slot built in that you just screw the sky cable into the new tv and you pick up freeview
Think you've confused yourself their bud. Freeview is what you get through an aerial for terrestial TV, Freesat needs a satellite decoder (either built in or an external box, even an old HD or HD+ Sky box will do), the connector would be an F connector which has a thread. A lot of TV's have both inputs, my Sony for instance does.

Think you've confused yourself their bud. Freeview is what you get through an aerial for terrestial TV, Freesat needs a satellite decoder (either built in or an external box, even an old HD or HD+ Sky box will do), the connector would be an F connector which has a thread. A lot of TV's have both inputs, my Sony for instance does.

i have a 50inch samsung smart tv and i just put the sky cable into the fitting at the back of the tv and it picks up freeview or freesat or what ever its called

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.