French politics | Macron calls shock GE

Regardless of Macron’s sensibilities, which people are free to speculate on, the problem here is that nobody has a “democratic right” to govern. The NFP have no more right to be installing a Prime Minister than Le Pen’s rabble as nobody won a majority. In fact you could easily argue Le Pen has more of a right as they got a bigger share of the vote and are the largest actual single party.

If the NFP had the political nouse they would have started trying to negotiate their way to a majority, but instead they have decided to sit on 32% of the seats and demand they install their PM. What would be the point? They would be immediately defeated and there would likely be another election. Once again, the ideologues are self-defeating and the only method they seem to know is to call for protest instead of actually trying to govern.

If the NFP had negotiated its way to a majority of seats then they wouldn’t need Macron to agree, the weight of that majority would force his hand. The truth is they haven’t got that, in fact they don’t appear to even be trying to achieve it.
Fair enough poor wording on my part. I should have used mandate instead of "democratic right". The reality is that a new government must be formed yet the winning coalition is not even being given the opportunity to get to the stage where they are subjected to a no confidence vote at the first sitting.

If the NFP had done this , if the NFP had done that yada yada. Your argument is that the "left"is not for compromising conveniently ignoring the fact that they /Melenchon nominated a PM and a cabinet that excluded LFI/ his own party. Which has been rejected out of hand.

Meanwhile other compromises are being formulated ....

Last edited:
Fair enough poor wording on my part. I should have used mandate instead of "democratic right". The reality is that a new government must be formed yet the winning coalition is not even being given the opportunity to get to the stage where they are subjected to a no confidence vote at the first sitting.

If the NFP had done this , if the NFP had done that yada yada. Your argument is that the "left"is not for compromising conveniently ignoring the fact that they /Melenchon nominated a PM and a cabinet that excluded LFI/ his own party. Which has been rejected out of hand.

Is Macron like our King but with real power?

Seems a very strange set-up for a Republic?

GV_e4MiXYAA_7ME.jpg

She's old enough to be his lover...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.