Frenkie de Jong(Signed for Barcelona)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it plays a bigger part in it than most people admit.
Well look, I'm not from Manchester and if I were offered two equal jobs with equal wages in Paris and Manchester, or Paris and Barcelona, I'd choose Paris like a shot (as would the missus). La Liga/Premier League v Ligue 1 can counteract that, yes, but not every time.

Well look, I'm not from Manchester and if I were offered two equal jobs with equal wages in Paris and Manchester, or Paris and Barcelona, I'd choose Paris like a shot (as would the missus). La Liga/Premier League v Ligue 1 can counteract that, yes, but not every time.
And I don’t think there is anything wrong that, it’s just the way it is. Manchester is an ok city,but in the big scheme of things, it’s not even close.

Yes, it would have been levelled at us when the project started, but this is 2019 not 2008. And of course there will be a multitude of factors that will influence his decision (I’d be interested to know what you think they are though), but the fact remains that Ligue 1 is a one horse league, with a low global profile, and nowhere near the standard of the Prem or La Liga. Hardly a strawman proposition to suggest that financial remuneration is likely to be used to compensate for those facts......in my opinion

In no particular order
  • Money
  • Guaranteed Role in the team
  • Guaranteed minutes in the team
  • Attractiveness of the country and whether they are going to shoot themselves in the foot and exit the EU
  • Livability of the City
  • Climate
  • Whether the place is where the missus would prefer to live
  • Getting the best deal for Ajax
  • Influence of my family
  • Influence of my Agent
  • Influence of my current manager/mentors
  • Ability to contribute to the 'project'/make history with the club
  • The manager and coaching staff of new club
  • The chance to play with certain players at the new club
  • The different playing styles and competitiveness of the leagues
  • Ability to win trophies/titles
  • How the move to the new club will affect my prospects for the national team
  • Proximity/ease of travel to home/family
  • My age and ability to sign bigger/better contracts and where this contract is relative to that
  • How this deal ties into my sponsorship and image rights
  • Tax rates and other financial issues in the different countries
  • The language
  • The culture
  • The food
  • Whether I've supported, or always had a desire to join the clubs in question
That's just a list of some of the factors that would have a bearing on a decision. Not knowing the specifics of where his head is at, or the deals in question apart from rumours and gossip, I still think it's disingenuous to think it's only about money. Truth is we don't know. And in many respects I can see why PSG and Barca could trump City on a lot of those factors, but again it's up to the individual.

I’d be interested to know how much it has to do with the city. Paris, Barcelona or Manchester to live for the next 7 or 8 years of your life. It’s not like money and footballing success are going to be missing in all three choices, so why choose Manchester? Some do as in say the case of Aguero, some choose Pep, but maybe some think bollocks to miserable weather and a English northern city they know nothing about,and actually I’ll go and earn a fortune in one of the best cities in the world.

Fair point, I hadn’t considered it

[QUOTE="willipp, post: 11487267. Manchester is an ok city[/QUOTE]

Manchester is much more than OK.

Paris is a lovely city , for sure.
Only downside is that it is full of french people.

Even a good portion of the French distance themselves from Paris much less Parisiens

There are no sporting reasons to select a nouveau riche club like PSG with little history - their pull remains the Qataris and tankers of cash

In no particular order
  • Money
  • Guaranteed Role in the team
  • Guaranteed minutes in the team
  • Attractiveness of the country and whether they are going to shoot themselves in the foot and exit the EU
  • Livability of the City
  • Climate
  • Whether the place is where the missus would prefer to live
  • Getting the best deal for Ajax
  • Influence of my family
  • Influence of my Agent
  • Influence of my current manager/mentors
  • Ability to contribute to the 'project'/make history with the club
  • The manager and coaching staff of new club
  • The chance to play with certain players at the new club
  • The different playing styles and competitiveness of the leagues
  • Ability to win trophies/titles
  • How the move to the new club will affect my prospects for the national team
  • Proximity/ease of travel to home/family
  • My age and ability to sign bigger/better contracts and where this contract is relative to that
  • How this deal ties into my sponsorship and image rights
  • Tax rates and other financial issues in the different countries
  • The language
  • The culture
  • The food
  • Whether I've supported, or always had a desire to join the clubs in question
That's just a list of some of the factors that would have a bearing on a decision. Not knowing the specifics of where his head is at, or the deals in question apart from rumours and gossip, I still think it's disingenuous to think it's only about money. Truth is we don't know. And in many respects I can see why PSG and Barca could trump City on a lot of those factors, but again it's up to the individual.

Yup, lots of good points I’d not considered, although I was under no illusions regarding the attraction of Barcelona as a footballing and cultural destination compared to City (overfamiliarisation with Paris - I worked there for a while - has perhaps left me inured to its charms by contrast). Time travelling back 35 years, had I been in De Jong’s position, where guaranteed minutes in the team are pretty much, erm, guaranteed, and the potential destinations were all modern Western European cities within 90 minutes of the Netherlands, my own choice would have still been based on testing myself in the best leagues available (assuming that I would be joining a club with a fighting chance of winning things in those leagues), and I’m not dissuaded from the idea that most players would think that way too, but you’re right, I was pre-supposing that all players would be motivated by broadly the same things, and clearly there are many more factors at play than just money. Fiendishly complex things transfers these days......!

Last edited:
I have it on good authority frankie de jong is a massive fan of oasis, stone roses, smiths and new order
He is just waiting in txiki to get his courteeners and Noel Gallagher tickets for Heaton park sorted
If this falls through we have ndombele lined up as he is a massive joy division fan.

Paris is not the city it once was, no go areas, riots, social unrest, it's worse than Afghanistan. I work with a guy from Paris, he wouldn't go back for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.