Fukushima - The cover-up, the lies, the facts & the figures

uncle charlie wilson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7KoTtK_Q6OI

It is entirely feasible that a meltdown of similar proportions could happen here in the UK or the US.

Current safety procedures are inadequate across the entire industry.

The nuclear industry has close ties with governments, and here in the UK it was proven that the industry and the coalition government colluded to play down Fukushima while it was still unfolding (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jun/30/british-government-plan-play-down-fukushima).

Once the worst case scenario proves itself a reality no-one within the industry is held accountable.

The nuclear industry protects their economic interests at the expense of the public's health.

Radiation has been detected in air and rain samples across the Northern Hemisphere.

Once the radiation reached the west coast of the US in March, the EPA immediately ceased all air monitoring. No figures were made public.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrC6EaItrQM&feature=related[/youtube]

In the west coast of the US, the rate of infant mortality increased by 35% in the months of March and April.

Radiation continues to be detected in rainfall.

May, St Louis; [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9tnLG_D1KE[/youtube]

July 17th (3 days ago), Hope BC, Canada; [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq5mxd26wAk[/youtube]

Radioactive isotopes have been found in Californian milk and have also been confirmed to have been found as far away as France, in their milk produce.

Radiation levels in Japan itself continue to be widely ignored and trivialised by the Japanese government.

One example - 'Safe' background radiation exposure levels for children in schools have been raised from 1 mSv a year to 20 mSv a year, the maximum permitable allowance for an adult working at a German nuclear power plant.

As I type this very post there is a nuclear power plant in Nebraska (Ft Calhoun) in the heart of the US, surrounded by flood waters, and in very real danger of losing all electrical power to cool its reactor.

In the same US state there is another nuclear power plant which is still operating normally and hasn't been brought to a cold shutdown. Should flood levels continue to rise it would be desperately vulnerable, it is of an identical design to the reactors at Fukushima, and shares the same flaws.

There is currently a media blackout with regards to these two plants. At present, there is a strictly enforced no fly zone around Ft Calhoun.

On a wider note, all promises about the safety of nuclear power plants, and newer 'modern' plants should be met with much skepticism. All safety measures and protocol for the designs which attempt to ensure the safety of these plants is entirely theoretical. In the immediate aftermath of a single explosion at one of the containment facilities at Fukushima, there was bemusement among the nuclear community, as the hydrogen gas which accumulated and subsequently blew the facility to pieces appeared to have been a criticality, i.e there was a nuclear reaction within the spent fuel fool.

This blew pieces of spent fuel as far away as a mile from the plant. This points towards the explosion being a detonation rather than a deflagration (see the first video), this has fundamental ramifications for the designs of all nuclear containment facilities. The theories which denote these power plants, which they rest their safety foundations upon never foresaw this. This damages the integrity of all present nuclear containment designs.

Nuclear power is a technology which we still haven't learned to safetly control or harness, and I don't believe we ever will. So while our ever pro-nuclear government is carefully managing public opinion by intentionally misinforming us, the risks will continue to increase. While the public remains ignorant, in the face on an accident we're left clueless as to the realities of the accident and how to protect ourselves and our families.

Apart from the inherent threat of nuclear power itself, the nuclear industry and the governments that are in its pockets pose an even greater threat to the health of the public and our environment.

As Japan attempts to recover from what will prove to be the most costly industrial accident of mankind, our government goes ahead with its flawed policy to tackle the energy crisis with nuclear power. This is despite the inherent dangers of the technology, despite public opinion (which they're incessantly trying to manipulate), despite the cost of managing the waste, despite the cost of decommissioning these plants and despite the potential for an enormous government bail-out in the case of a serious accident.

There are many unsavoury vested interests when it comes to the nuclear industry. Uranium mining is worth a lot of money, to a lot of countries, and these countries hold a lot of power. There are the businesses which are guaranteed enormous windfalls from the development of new plants.

The nuclear industry regulates itself and doesn't answer to anyone. In the case of a serious accident, a government (taxpayer) bail-out ensues. The industry is fraught by lies, mistruths and I suspect, a healthy amount of corruption. They're simply not to be trusted.

If the spent fuel pools caught fire at Fukushima, the whole of Northern Japan would have been rendered uninhabitable. They only escaped this scenario by the skin of their teeth. There is no precedent for decades worth of highly radioactive spent nuclear fuel catching fire and depositing its fallout upon an unsuspecting, densely populated island. It has never even been theorised by the industry, it has never been contemplated. The repercussions for Japan, and even the entire Northern Hemisphere itself wouldn't bear thinking about.

The cost on the world's economy doesn't bear thinking about in such a scenario, let alone the effects on the quality of human life.

Nuclear power makes neither economic sense or practical sense. It is inherently dangerous, and we simply don't have the capacity to harness its power safely.

Thorium reactors sound promising, but as with all untried and untested technologies, it too will prove dangerous.

I have no definitive plan on how to tackle global warming / the energy crisis, I simply know that conventional nuclear power isn't the answer.

And I sure hope I'm not alone in that sentiment.

EDIT: The typo is no more. And a useful resource for independent scientific analysis on Fukushima;

http://www.llrc.org/index.html

des hardi said:
the end is nigh........

Sigh.

Try engaging your brain and having a read, I speak only in truths, and I'm no subscriber of conspiracy theories.

But, hey, ignorance is bliss. Right, mate?

I thought the title was refering to a new Japanese scoring sensation, but apparently we're all going to die.

Nuclear power is one of the cleanest way to make electricity. As the technology progress, it will become safer and safer. The only thing that is cleaner and reliable is hydroelectricity. However not that many countries posses the amount of water pools required to sustain the electricity use.

I prefer nuclear power to burning coal. it is dangerous, but i assume a lot of safety procedures take place. I am not anywhere near an expert on nuclear power and the safety procedures to make a judgment.

Look at France for example. 75% of its electricity is produced from nuclear power, without it their economy is will die. How is their safety record?

At the end of the day, without sustainable electricity our lives will be pretty bad. So unless people posses the knowledge to solve the problem, we shouldn't be kicking one of the solutions under the bus.

uncle charlie wilson said:
des hardi said:
the end is nigh........

Sigh.

Try engaging your brain and having a read, I speak only in truths, and I'm no subscriber of conspiracy theories.

lighten up! why dont you get down off your high horse!

first of all i never accused you of being a liar
secondly i never called you a conspiracy theorist

as for ignorance, well it is here for all to see isn t it?

des hardi said:
des hardi said:
the end is nigh........

Sigh.

lighten up! why dont you get down off your high horse!

first of all i never accused you of being a liar
secondly i never called you a conspiracy theorist

as for ignorance, well it is here for all to see isn t it?

High horse?

What am I expected to respond with to your piss weak, immature jibe?

I never suggested you called me a liar or a 'conspiracy theorist', I was simply clarifying where I stood.

And as for your last jibe, speak for yourself.

Anyway, you haven't even bothered to read the OP, once you do I'll get of my 'high horse'.

BulgarianPride said:
Nuclear power is one of the cleanest way to make electricity. As the technology progress, it will become safer and safer. The only thing that is cleaner and reliable is hydroelectricity. However not that many countries posses the amount of water pools required to sustain the electricity use.

I prefer nuclear power to burning coal. it is dangerous, but i assume a lot of safety procedures take place. I am not anywhere near an expert on nuclear power and the safety procedures to make a judgment.

Look at France for example. 75% of its electricity is produced from nuclear power, without it their economy is will die. How is their safety record?

At the end of the day, without sustainable electricity our lives will be pretty bad. So unless people posses the knowledge to solve the problem, we shouldn't be kicking one of the solutions under the bus.

I struggle to express in words how much the claim that 'nuclear power is clean' frustrates me, angers me even.

The industry obscures everything it does. We don't know the half of what it has managed to conceal.

Leaks, compromised containment facilities, controlled leaks into the environment in the event of overheating. The list is endless.

Sellafield have nuclear waste all over the site, casually strewn across temporary dumps, on site, and it has remained there for decades.

The Sellafield B30 site has been described as "the most hazardous place in Western Europe" http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/apr/19/sellafield-nuclear-plant-cumbria-hazards

Then there's Dounreay. A nuclear power plant on the very tip of the North of Scotland, decommissioned 17 years ago yet will cost our government £2.9 billion to entirely decommission and clean up the land and stretch of beach it poisoned. The land won't be safe to use as a brownfield site until the year 2336.

And this is just in the UK.

Since you mentioned France, I'll make you aware that they've been pumping water used to treat nuclear waste into the English Channel for years.

And this is without highlighting your Fukushimas and your Chernobyls.

Nuclear power plants leave a legacy, and it's rarely a 'clean' one.

Since you mentioned France, I'll make you aware that they've been pumping water used to treat nuclear waste into the English Channel for years.

This is true. I've just been on holiday to Cornwall and went fishing a couple of times. Caught somethhing looking like this on one of the trips...

11kctqf.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.