Full backs and our tactics

117 M34

Firstly, this thread isn't a moan and I'm not suggesting anything should change, but...

Why is it that whoever we play at full back seems to struggle with Pep's formation, tactics/structure?

1st season, clichy, kolarov, zaba and sagna all struggled. This was put down to their age which I probably agree with.

Last season, walker and Delph did well but danillo struggled. Mendy was injured too much to make a fair judgement of.

This season, mendy has struggled (when fit), Delph has been poor, walker has been inconsistent and danillo hasn't played much but not been great when he has.

So, is it the system, the players, mix of the two or something else?

Can't keep spending money on full backs to hopefully make it work.

We've got one proper LB who is constantly injured, easy to say now but we should of bought someone else in the summer rather than expect Zinchenko and Delph to o cover again.

Clichy and Kolarov struggled under Pellegrini too, especially Clichy. Kolarov really struggled under Mancini.

I think Walker and Danilo are OK right backs for us, Walker especially has proved that he can be top class. But I wouldn't cry if all Mendy, Zinchenko and Delph left. Press the reset button in LB and sign two new LBs. Or sign at least one quality option and sell Delph and Zinchenko and give Mendy one more season to prove his quality and fitness.

How are they struggling?

Delph has no positional nous so is constantly being found out, you can argue if that’s Peps fault but quite frankly he’s just not good enough.

Walker for me is tired and it’s making him make mistakes

Danilo has been injured

Mendy has been injured but we saw what a threat he was in those first few games and every full back in the league is frightened with him running at them.

We only have 1 left back and he's always injured. Danillo isn't top class and Walker has been poor recently but was very good last season, maybe he's been over played. Don't think it's the system just injury's and no depth.

I made the point on twitter today, Pep's system relies heavily on fit fullbacks who are good ball players, intelligent etc etc. With the number of games we will play, you need at least 4 to manage it....we have one, who is never fit. The others, we have a great athlete who is as thick as two short planks, an unreliable one, and 2 who fill in as best they can, despite not being fullbacks.

Our solution to this problem, IMHO, needs to be cultivated from the academy, but this will take time and patience, neither of which a manager gets, or fans are willing to give.

IMHO

Firstly, this thread isn't a moan and I'm not suggesting anything should change, but...

Why is it that whoever we play at full back seems to struggle with Pep's formation, tactics/structure?

1st season, clichy, kolarov, zaba and sagna all struggled. This was put down to their age which I probably agree with.

Last season, walker and Delph did well but danillo struggled. Mendy was injured too much to make a fair judgement of.

This season, mendy has struggled (when fit), Delph has been poor, walker has been inconsistent and danillo hasn't played much but not been great when he has.

Hahahahhaha nice moan .

Danilo didn't struggle with the style last season, his peak performances were better than Walker's. He struggled with injuries and being played at left back, defensive mid and centre half.

My recollection is that AK was converted to a CH and was a revelation
Agree with the rest Pep needs world class FB / WB to work his system

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.