GAA

Prefer hurling myself but have seen first hand on a few occasions what these wins mean to local communities, so I hope you enjoyed your evening and any celebrations that may follow.
Me too. We are a dual club (hurling and football) but historically were known as a hurling club. Football was only an afterthought. But for whatever reasons the football level just got higher and higher and the bunch of kids came good at the right time to progress in the leagues. Then we got a serious manager and afterwards an amazing backroom and it was like a rocket. But half the players still play hurling too and in a few weeks have another County Final and a chance to get into a league 2 divisions lower. (It's like if DeBruyne played in the CL final and then had a hockey Division One playoff final 3 weeks later)

I love the fact that almost all the players grew up at the club - playing since 6 or 7 and now are elite sportsmen. If you watch the link above, the fitness level is frightening.

It's great to see that they respect us Dad coaches as much as we respect them. Most players make time to help out with the kids coming up at all ages because they were there themselves not very long ago.

It must be like soccer was back in the days before money played a significant part.

Me too. We are a dual club (hurling and football) but historically were known as a hurling club. Football was only an afterthought. But for whatever reasons the football level just got higher and higher and the bunch of kids came good at the right time to progress in the leagues. Then we got a serious manager and afterwards an amazing backroom and it was like a rocket. But half the players still play hurling too and in a few weeks have another County Final and a chance to get into a league 2 divisions lower. (It's like if DeBruyne played in the CL final and then had a hockey Division One playoff final 3 weeks later)

I love the fact that almost all the players grew up at the club - playing since 6 or 7 and now are elite sportsmen. If you watch the link above, the fitness level is frightening.

It's great to see that they respect us Dad coaches as much as we respect them. Most players make time to help out with the kids coming up at all ages because they were there themselves not very long ago.

It must be like soccer was back in the days before money played a significant part.

I've played 5 a side over here when a few Gaelic players have turned up and you're quite right about the fitness level, can't ever seem to get near those lads for speed or power.

In my youth my mate and I were in Dingle Bay when Kerry reached the All Ireland Hurling final. The locals kidnapped us, bundled us into a van and drove us a few miles to a pub. There were were imprisonned in the back room and forced to drink many pints of the black stuff while we watched the game. I dont remember who won, but we were all shit faced. Excellent day.
I was travelling through Ireland in 95 when Clare won the Hurling for the 1st time in 80 years. I had a similar experience as you, though with bitter… can’t remember how we got from pub to B&B a mile up the road…

My nephew plays for St Lawrence’s GAA at Turn Moss, going to watch him play for Lancashire U15s in Birmingham next week. Such a shame for them that they mised out on the Feile last summer due to the pandemic, though he has been to one already as he was selected to play a couple of years above his age group in 2019.
Gaelic football is still alive and well in Manchester although it struggles from a lack of facilities. We have nothing like the excellent Parc na Eireann set up in Birmingham

In my youth my mate and I were in Dingle Bay when Kerry reached the All Ireland Hurling final. The locals kidnapped us, bundled us into a van and drove us a few miles to a pub. There were were imprisonned in the back room and forced to drink many pints of the black stuff while we watched the game. I dont remember who won, but we were all shit faced. Excellent day.
I doubt very much that it was hurling, not at senior level anyway. Unless you were around in the 1890s!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.