Gabby Petito

It’s a bit of a crass term, it should actually include middle class as well.

Well done for missing the point though. There many thousands of people who go missing and get very little attention, there was a case last year of two women being found in a man's freezer in a flat in London.

Vulnerable women on the margins but who had some involvement with police and social care agencies and opportunities were missed to prevent them coming to harm.
Apologies for posting that video in this thread. Prob shoulda been left to the political forum. Poor girl has been murdered. I agree with some of what you said, disagree with some..for what it’s worth.

Possibly. Not all. There are plenty of actors between jobs in California and not on the studios radar.

So social status and contact networks are more important than race?

Yeah that's my point. The Wikipedia article on missing white woman syndrome specifically refers to middle class women as well.

Reid has a point but is this case a straight forward missing persons case?

I would say, no.

I'd argue that the circumstances and behaviour of the boyfriend piqued the True Crime obsessed in the USA.

I only mentioned this case because it came to mind it when you asked.

As I said the same lack of attention is paid to white working class girls and European immigrants in the UK.

Does race play a part in the USA? Possibly, probably.

But I don't think using a term like white missing woman syndrome is a helpful way of addressing the imbalanced attention and solving the problem.

I appreciate the response, but I'm ignoring the acting discussion as it's just pointless.

The UK and US are different, but the same in many respects. To make national headlines they look for certain features and backstories. The media are not, most likely, going to feature Euro immigrants as those unfortunate women don't fit the right narrative, same with working class females.

Are they cute/ good looking/ does she look like she could be your child? Is she from a 'wholesome family'?

So, if we keep it to this particular demographic, you will also notice that virtually nothing is mentioned about missing females from secure children's/ social care homes, which is why the Rochdale cases(and most likely more still to be revealed elsewhere) stood out as a travesty of the ignored as the subjects aren't 'wholesome'. They were highlighted in national news by the villains, not the victims in all honesty.

There's always a narrative and if poor Caucasian/ Euro immigrant females are at the bottom of the barrel, then any other demographic beyond that don't even get that honour.

So, finally, if we move this over to the US you can bet your 'bottom dollar' that this is multiplied by 'x'.

If you haven't seen "Wind River" I suggest you give a watch and understand that that shows the tip of the iceberg for who gets picked as a story to tell.

I appreciate the response, but I'm ignoring the acting discussion as it's just pointless.

The UK and US are different, but the same in many respects. To make national headlines they look for certain features and backstories. The media are not, most likely, going to feature Euro immigrants as those unfortunate women don't fit the right narrative, same with working class females.

Are they cute/ good looking/ does she look like she could be your child? Is she from a 'wholesome family'?

So, if we keep it to this particular demographic, you will also notice that virtually nothing is mentioned about missing females from secure children's/ social care homes, which is why the Rochdale cases(and most likely more still to be revealed elsewhere) stood out as a travesty of the ignored as the subjects aren't 'wholesome'. They were highlighted in national news by the villains, not the victims in all honesty.

There's always a narrative and if poor Caucasian/ Euro immigrant females are at the bottom of the barrel, then any other demographic beyond that don't even get that honour.

So, finally, if we move this over to the US you can bet your 'bottom dollar' that this is multiplied by 'x'.

If you haven't seen "Wind River" I suggest you give a watch and understand that that shows the tip of the iceberg for who gets picked as a story to tell.

Yeah I don't think it is about simply being wholesome. I doubt children going missing from secure children's home would get no coverage in the local news, because it's quite difficult to get out and abscond from them. Some children in care go "missing" on a regular occurrence.

Mark Rogers, Head of Children, Young People Education and Skills (CYPES) in his response to the Commission's findings acknowledged that the frequency of children going missing from care needed to reduce. He also said the high frequency, in part, was down to the fact the police and the Care Commission would routinely be informed of all missing episodes, 'even when a child is absent without permission but where their whereabouts is known.

'As a result, the government's Missing from Care Guidance was amended in March 2021 to make a clearer distinction between incidents of children being missing (where their whereabouts are unknown), and where there is an unauthorised absence (i.e. they stay out later than agreed). The latter, according to Mr Rogers 'is within the range of normal teenage behaviour and does not now come within the definition of 'missing' for the purpose of the Missing from Care Procedure.'

I haven't seen the whole film but I watched some of it that led up to the rape and murder scene and I have no desire to watch that again.

It’s looking fairly plain that he’s done her and left her. Sounds like the authorities believe he thinks he can live off the grid and stay one step ahead of the law, as he has outdoor experience.

They’ve been scouring a park area, but no joy so far. His parents hired a lawyer the DAY HE RETURNED ALONE, so I assume he squawked to them.

Yet another relationship that’s not going to have ended well, with yet another woman ending up on the wrong end of an unhappy man’s ire.

Feel SO BAD for her parents. As the father of a fairly petite 25 yr old daughter, one of my biggest fears is the cohort of 20-35yr old males with whom she will come into contact while trying to enjoy her life in the wider world.

Obviously, not all men are pigs or resort to murder, but far too many seem to be able to make that leap far too easily.
I know, I know, but rules are rules

This is what you said, Bigga.

Remind me of the last time a missing Black female made headline news US or UK...?

These are news sites, reputable news cites, ezcept for one which is a state police website. Either way, the police website is an effort to get the word out about a missing black female. Don't be righteous because you think you can get away with it because of semantics . You are the dummy here. Or you are a liar.

Being as you have been the "guest" of Her Majesty for a time and don't have the right to travel between the UK and the US I'm guessing you are probably a liar.

Now, jog on, I don't care to back and forth with you all day. Last time I answered your call for something you didn't like it that time either because it didn't fit your narrative, dummy.

Who you posted about was a fairly prominent actress. You cannot equate the unfortunate Petito to the same level. Try again with a similar type girl of different skin/ culture.

As for the original poster I quoted, I was underlining the Joy Reid statement (much as I dislike the fucker) to be the truth. I didn't want to repeat the same clip despite the light it was shown in.

Foetus, obviously, disagrees with Reid when she speaks an objective truth.

I fail to see your point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.