#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Young lad, suffered multiple long lay offs in the past, played an intense and highly emotive tournament across the other side of the work after a demanding club season. I’d leave him to rest and stick to the club recommended rest period.

That's a terrible idea and most likely will just result in injuries at some point. Players need their rest.

He’s 22 years old and started only 8 matches in the league last season. Only 4 starts in all comps during March, April and May.

Also didn’t start all the matches for Brazil at Copa.

I’m all for getting rest but Gabby doesn’t need much it’s not like he’s started 40 matches last season.

Does the club recommend 4 weeks? Think 3 is more than fine for him.

He’s 22 years old and started only 8 matches in the league last season. Only 4 starts in all comps during March, April and May.

Also didn’t start all the matches for Brazil at Copa.

I’m all for getting rest but Gabby doesn’t need much it’s not like he’s started 40 matches last season.

Does the club recommend 4 weeks? Think 3 is more than fine for him.

The club will give him the break they think he needs. If they suggested this, he should take it. Also, the actual matches bit doesn't take into account the constant physical and mental exertion during training and travelling etc. Recovering from that is important too.

The club will give him the break they think he needs. If they suggested this, he should take it.

We saw Walker come back early last summer despite playing every game. Obviously that was a mistake given how much he played but I liked the idea. It really shows determination.

We saw Walker come back early last summer despite playing every game. Obviously that was a mistake given how much he played but I liked the idea. It really shows determination.

As you said, it was a mistake. It was kinda dumb determination tbh. He clearly was exhausted by the middle of the season and his form dropped loads.

As you said, it was a mistake. It was kinda dumb determination tbh. He clearly was exhausted by the middle of the season and his form dropped loads.
This.

The lad played solidly for over 2 years without proper rest.

I actually don't agree with that. The mistake wasn't bringing him back early when we had no other RB options, it was not giving him a rest when Danilo had come back from injury.

Danilo was fit again around mid September - would have been very easy to give Walker a week or 2 rest, but instead Pep played him into the ground.

The same happened with Fernandinho - we were asking all season why he was playing 90 minutes every single game and eventually he got injured.

I actually don't agree with that. The mistake wasn't bringing him back early when we had no other RB options, it was not giving him a rest when Danilo had come back from injury.

Danilo was fit again around mid September - would have been very easy to give Walker a week or 2 rest, but instead Pep played him into the ground.

The same happened with Fernandinho - we were asking all season why he was playing 90 minutes every single game and eventually he got injured.

I counter disagree with your disagreement :)

I don't think a midseason rest is a proper full on rest. They stay and train, even if they don't play. The likelihood of sending a player to a beach for a couple of weeks mid season is next to nothing because they'll want to make sure they're in good shape if anything happens to the other right back, Danilo in this instance. Even rests when they don't play, they don't really switch off mentally as they're aware the season is going and how can you switch off from that? A summer holiday is basically every excuse to fully switch off and relax. There's no important football and there's no training. It's the only time you can guarantee a proper rest both mentally and physically - not a semi-not-really-focused-on-being-on-holiday-rest.

I counter disagree with your disagreement :)

I don't think a midseason rest is a proper full on rest. They stay and train, even if they don't play. The likelihood of sending a player to a beach for a couple of weeks mid season is next to nothing because they'll want to make sure they're in good shape if anything happens to the other right back, Danilo in this instance. Even rests when they don't play, they don't really switch off mentally as they're aware the season is going and how can you switch off from that? A summer holiday is basically every excuse to fully switch off and relax. There's no important football and there's no training. It's the only time you can guarantee a proper rest both mentally and physically - not a semi-not-really-focused-on-being-on-holiday-rest.
I agree with the broad strokes, but I don't think he needed a full on, proper, rest midseason as much as he needed just to not play every game until he fell off a cliff. Pep is the greatest, obviously, but we've had a real blind spot to squad rotation for some positions in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.