#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irrespective of the maths, I'm not sure why you felt the need to compare the two players.

Just because Vardy (or any other player) is offside more than Jesus, doesn't mean Jesus doesn't need to get better at staying onside.

It means they both do.
It makes sense to compare because being offside occasionally is the price you pay for playing like he does. It’s like how KDB will hit the first man on crosses, or how Raz will dribble himself into corners. It’s worth it because the payoff if it does work is very high, and as long as you aren’t failing at an abnormal level, which he isn’t as you can see by the comps, it’s fine. It’s a dumb stick to beat him with, but for whatever reason people have decided he does it way more than others do and are super critical.

Last edited:
It makes sense to compare because being offside occasionally is the price you pay for playing like he does. It’s like how KDB will hit the first man on crosses, or how Raz will dribble himself into corners. It’s worth it because the payoff if it does work is very high, and as long as you aren’t failing at an abnormal level, which he isn’t as you can see by the comps, it’s fine. It’s a dumb stick to beat him with, but for whatever reason people have decided he does it way more than others do and are super critical.
It's a stick to beat him with because there isn't much else to beat him with. It's like I said in an earlier post, it's like when City would be berated for tactical fouling. People only brought it up because they had nothing else (Notice how people have stopped using it as a go to this season now we're not as strong?).

As you've hinted, could you imagine how silly KDB's thread would look if you had posts like:
'Yes I know he's created more chances than anyone else in Europe, I know he's the best crosser in Europe, I know he's got the most creativity in a pass in Europe, I know he's a truly world class player, but also he sometimes shoots when he should pass and that's why he'll never be the Touré replacement we need and we should think about looking for better.'

Reactions: cjn
This is an incredibly flawed thought process. Being offside is bad, so you should be offside less. Using Vardy as the example there's 2 big flaws.

The first and most obvious is that you've decided being caught offside is Vardy's fault, when just as likely it's Maddison or Tielemans or whoever not timing their pass correctly.

Secondly, Vardy knows that making his run with the timing he has means he might be offside 0.9 times per game, but he doesn't care because he also knows that even if there's a 50/50 chance of being offside when you're making the run that tight, the extra head start he has on the defenders means that the chance it creates is much more dangerous.

Because being put through on goal is such a big goal scoring chance, and because goals are so valuable, it's worth Vardy getting caught offside very often if it gives him a marginal increase in converting the chances when he's onside.

You're going round the houses so much you're losing yourself.

Cut all the bollocks and just answer this with a simple yes or no. Dont confuse yourself by going on about Vardy.

Does Jesus need to get better at avoiding offsides or not?

My original position was he does, and it remains my position.

You're going round the houses so much you're losing yourself.

Cut all the bollocks and just answer this with a simple yes or no. Dont confuse yourself by going on about Vardy.

Does Jesus need to get better at avoiding offsides or not?

My original position was he does, and it remains my position.

No.

Edit, to expand. The majority of his offsides would fall under 2 brackets - 1. Not enough regular time on the pitch to work out the timings with passers & 2. Times when the risk/reward of being on the edge is worth it.

There's maybe 10% of his offsides where I think he should really have gotten back earlier and frankly there's areas of his game that'd be more worthwhile working on.

The irony...What is 'even' supposed to mean here, given that our number one striker is among the best in the world? Not being equal to one of the very best strikers in the world = being far from world class. Sound logic that.

Nothing to do with that. He scored two very good goals, doesn’t make him world class nor does it any player as was the point made by another poster.

He’s not world class in opinion. He needs to sustain a consistent high level of performances and goal scoring over a number of years. Two goals against Burley hasn’t changed that over night.

No.

Edit, to expand. The majority of his offsides would fall under 2 brackets - 1. Not enough regular time on the pitch to work out the timings with passers & 2. Times when the risk/reward of being on the edge is worth it.

There's maybe 10% of his offsides where I think he should really have gotten back earlier and frankly there's areas of his game that'd be more worthwhile working on.

It was better before the edit mate.

He cant 'work out timings' with the players he trains with and 'works out the timings' with day in day out?

Really?

It was better before the edit mate.

He cant 'work out timings' with the players he trains with and 'works out the timings' with day in day out?

Really?
So I don't think Jesus being offside 1 or 2 times is an issue given his style of play, but you clearly do. So basically, why do you feel that way? How would Jesus's game, and/or City's game be different if he could cut it down to a reasonable amount, in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.