#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kev is always shouting at him for not being able to recieve a pass because he is offside,it's not just about being flagged offside,look it's a bad habit he needs to sort out,every player can inprove on something,dave gets endless stick for not scoring enough,sergio for being a bit selfish at times,ky having brainfarts etc

It was better before the edit mate.

He cant 'work out timings' with the players he trains with and 'works out the timings' with day in day out?

Really?

No. Just like players can't get match fit or match sharp in training.

Unless you want to argue that players can be 100% match sharp with zero gametime? It's the same thing.

Kev is always shouting at him for not being able to recieve a pass because he is offside,it's not just about being flagged offside,look it's a bad habit he needs to sort out,every player can inprove on something,dave gets endless stick for not scoring enough,sergio for being a bit selfish at times,ky having brainfarts etc
Ok, so last night you and I had a back and forth which on reflection was stupid because the point I was trying to make and the point you were trying to make didn't contradict each other, so really it was just the two of us shouting at a wall with the other user's name on it.

So to help avoid that in the future with similar debates on Jesus, I thought I'd ask you straight up 2 Qs.

1) What do you acutally think of Jesus? As if, if someone who'd just started watching football asked you to give them a more than simple response what would it be? Do you like him? Rate him? What are his strengths and what are his weaknesses? Is he good enough for City, will he ever be? What's needs to change if not, or stay the same if so? Do you think he's improved/regressed since he arrived and WHY?

2) Jesus is compared to Aguero a lot, quite naturally so. But it's become a really fucking boring topic on here and it's gotten too tribal. Anyway, how do you compare him to non-City strikers, in terms of current ability and potential? Firmino, Kane, Rashford, Mbappé, Abraham, and Iheanacho are the ones I've got off the top of my head, but chuck in some others if you like.

It's just sometimes when you make a point I don't know what angle you're coming from. When you bring up offsides, I don't know why. Maybe when you were younger you were taught that's a big no-no (which would make sense) or maybe Adebayor's shitshowings and offsides a decade traumatised you into hating them (also makes sense lol). I didn't like how are converstaion went and hopefully this could stop a repeat.

ps. I'll answer the Qs if you want me to too :p

If Jesus was offside because he was lazy those being critical would have a point.

However he is normally offside as he tries to anticipate and time his run to make an opportunity and score. This is totally different. Anyone critical of this just doesn't understand the game at the elite level.

No. Just like players can't get match fit or match sharp in training.

Unless you want to argue that players can be 100% match sharp with zero gametime? It's the same thing.

Players who play week in week out and are 'match sharp' are caught offside all the time.

Are they not match sharp?

Or has your new angle been shown to be nonsense?

First you're on about Vardy, then it's match sharpness, what next? How many cups of tea he's had that day?

The top and bottom of this topic is that, like any striker, Jesus could get better at not getting caught offside.

He's not alone in that and it isn't a slight on him. It's perfectly normal.

Ok, so last night you and I had a back and forth which on reflection was stupid because the point I was trying to make and the point you were trying to make didn't contradict each other, so really it was just the two of us shouting at a wall with the other user's name on it.

So to help avoid that in the future with similar debates on Jesus, I thought I'd ask you straight up 2 Qs.

1) What do you acutally think of Jesus? As if, if someone who'd just started watching football asked you to give them a more than simple response what would it be? Do you like him? Rate him? What are his strengths and what are his weaknesses? Is he good enough for City, will he ever be? What's needs to change if not, or stay the same if so? Do you think he's improved/regressed since he arrived and WHY?

2) Jesus is compared to Aguero a lot, quite naturally so. But it's become a really fucking boring topic on here and it's gotten too tribal. Anyway, how do you compare him to non-City strikers, in terms of current ability and potential? Firmino, Kane, Rashford, Mbappé, Abraham, and Iheanacho are the ones I've got off the top of my head, but chuck in some others if you like.

It's just sometimes when you make a point I don't know what angle you're coming from. When you bring up offsides, I don't know why. Maybe when you were younger you were taught that's a big no-no (which would make sense) or maybe Adebayor's shitshowings and offsides a decade traumatised you into hating them (also makes sense lol). I didn't like how are converstaion went and hopefully this could stop a repeat.

ps. I'll answer the Qs if you want me to too :p
Blimey that's a lot to answer

I like gabby,i have no issue having him at the club

I find myself having to defend sergio from the posters who say he should be 2nd choice this season when clearly he should not,he has been written off for 3yrs of so and that gets my back up,i don't wish him away so gabby can take over and i don't understand who would,i get frustrated and my points gets lost in a rant

gabby is 22 so the comparisons to a 31yr old are not really fair but whilst i appreciate he works hard and makes space for others i am pushing 60 and have the some would call old fashioned view that strikers should lead the line and score the goals as well,the last game was the perfect balance of the 2 and all i ask him for,if he can do that when he plays then brilliant

I don't think he has improved much since he joined and having had pep as his coach,the amount of playing time he gets is not all down to sergio i believe,i don't have the tactical nous to expand on that,it's my over all impression

I think staying onside is a basic skill,if kev can't pass to him then he is already in the wrong position,it's a pet hate of mine which you could say is my own problem but in the heat of the game really annoys me

I see him as more of a goal scoring winger and not the main striker so i would not be surprised if we buy a pure striker,i guess it depends on if pep is still here or not

He is better than firmino,nacho and rashford,kane is quite a lazy player,not my cup of tea but he gets the goals,the rest i don't watch enough to comment

Blimey that's a lot to answer

I like gabby,i have no issue having him at the club

I find myself having to defend sergio from the posters who say he should be 2nd choice this season when clearly he should not,he has been written off for 3yrs of so and that gets my back up,i don't wish him away so gabby can take over and i don't understand who would,i get frustrated and my points gets lost in a rant

gabby is 22 so the comparisons to a 31yr old are not really fair but whilst i appreciate he works hard and makes space for others i am pushing 60 and have the some would call old fashioned view that strikers should lead the line and score the goals as well,the last game was the perfect balance of the 2 and all i ask him for,if he can do that when he plays then brilliant

I don't think he has improved much since he joined and having had pep as his coach,the amount of playing time he gets is not all down to sergio i believe,i don't have the tactical nous to expand on that,it's my over all impression

I think staying onside is a basic skill,if kev can't pass to him then he is already in the wrong position,it's a pet hate of mine which you could say is my own problem but in the heat of the game really annoys me

I see him as more of a goal scoring winger and not the main striker so i would not be surprised if we buy a pure striker,i guess it depends on if pep is still here or not

He is better than firmino,nacho and rashford,kane is quite a lazy player,not my cup of tea but he gets the goals,the rest i don't watch enough to comment
I don't agree with all of this, obviously, but it's definitely very helped me understand your perspective so I appreciate the response :)

Players who play week in week out and are 'match sharp' are caught offside all the time.

Are they not match sharp?

Or has your new angle been shown to be nonsense?

First you're on about Vardy, then it's match sharpness, what next? How many cups of tea he's had that day?

The top and bottom of this topic is that, like any striker, Jesus could get better at not getting caught offside.

He's not alone in that and it isn't a slight on him. It's perfectly normal.

You are all over the place here.

I didn't say all offside were down to a lack of match sharpness, I said some were.

You need to start reading the posts before replying to them.

Nothing to do with that. He scored two very good goals, doesn’t make him world class nor does it any player as was the point made by another poster.

He’s not world class in opinion. He needs to sustain a consistent high level of performances and goal scoring over a number of years. Two goals against Burley hasn’t changed that over night.

That's true. But it doesn't mean he's far from world class. Mbappe, for instance, was (close to) world class already at 19 despite having played only a year. Gabby can make a quantum jump in his development similarly to Sterling in 17/18. He has scored in nearly every game he hasstarted away from home. It's not like he has scored hist first goals for the team. His scoring record is pretty decent.

You are all over the place here.

I didn't say all offside were down to a lack of match sharpness, I said some were.

You need to start reading the posts before replying to them.

My view has been the same throughout the discussion.

He needs to improve at not being caught offside.

At the time of my original post he had the 2nd highest number of offsides of all premier league players. This clearly supports my opinion.

A perfectly rational and sensible conclusion to draw.

You on the other hand did this -

1. Advised I should 'get used to it'.

2. Invented a stat about Jamie fucking Vardy to support your view that I should get used to it.

3. Brought 2 other Leicester players into the discussion for absolutely no reason.

4. Blamed Jesus' offside figures on not being able to 'sort out the timings' due to not being 'match sharp'. This is despite the fact he has able to 'time' his involvement in his 2 goals the other night, suggesting his match sharpness is fine.

5. Suggested my involvement in this discussion is 'all over the place'.

Number 5 is pretty ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.