#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
My view has been the same throughout the discussion.

He needs to improve at not being caught offside.

At the time of my original post he had the 2nd highest number of offsides of all premier league players. This clearly supports my opinion.

A perfectly rational and sensible conclusion to draw.

You on the other hand did this -

1. Advised I should 'get used to it'.

2. Invented a stat about Jamie fucking Vardy to support your view that I should get used to it.

3. Brought 2 other Leicester players into the discussion for absolutely no reason.

4. Blamed Jesus' offside figures on not being able to 'sort out the timings' due to not being 'match sharp'. This is despite the fact he has able to 'time' his involvement in his 2 goals the other night, suggesting his match sharpness is fine.

5. Suggested my involvement in this discussion is 'all over the place'.

Number 5 is pretty ironic.

This is a really simple discussion you seem to be not deliberately not following.

I said Jamie vardy is offside 2x as as much as Jesus. My terrible mistake there was that it was only 1.5x.

Then you said Jamie Vardy should be offside less often, which I pointed out ios a very flawed argument as often it's not just the striker who is to blame but the passers and the benefits of his style of play outweigh the drawbacks of beogncaught offside once per match.

Then when you asked me if Jesus should be offside more, I said no because most of his offside are down to lack of regular game time or an inevitable consequence of playing on the line.

Then you tried to argue that players dont need games to match sharp with their teammates and since then you've had a meltdown at not being able to follow pretty straightforward comments.

It's not complicated, but I'll dumb it down if you really want.

Jesus is always going to get caught offside so you should get used to it like the leicester city fans have with Vardy.

Pep Guardiola on @gabrieljesus33: "He has to be himself. We need him and his goals. That’s why we won last game. We need him for goals and if he puts this idea in his head he is able to do it every game. For the players, confidence has to be there all the time..."

"...not just because of good or bad performances or winning or losing games. The greatest athletes all the time have a strong mentality that we all have to learn from. That is the key difference..."

"They have to play, otherwise they will not be in a high level playing in the Premier League. They have quality and they can control it, they don’t need their manager, mum or friends to speak to them. They have to believe they are good enough."

Maybe that last bit is a nod to why he doesn't play more,when his mum and friends left he had a real dip

Some journo mentioned an interesting stat during the presser: apparently, our record without Aguero over the last years (since Pep?) has been better than with him. I wonder whether the stat is about all competitions or just the league. It makes sense if it is about all compets, since we play some rubbish teams in the cups and Sergio misses many of those games. It would be interesting to see what is our league record with Sergio and our league record with Gabby since the start of 17/18. Would there be any significant difference?

Some journo mentioned an interesting stat during the presser: apparently, our record without Aguero over the last years (since Pep?) has been better than with him. I wonder whether the stat is about all competitions or just the league. It makes sense if it is about all compets, since we play some rubbish teams in the cups and Sergio misses many of those games. It would be interesting to see what is our league record with Sergio and our league record with Gabby since the start of 17/18. Would there be any significant difference?
5560307605_20d7d60de9_b.jpg

Don't let Karen see this.

Don't let Karen see this.
Seen it,can't be bothered as with most stats they mean nothing without the detail and context,i suspect the journo used it to imply we are not going to miss sergio really so if the rags win they will have beaten a full strength city side,if that makes sense

Pep Guardiola on @gabrieljesus33: "He has to be himself. We need him and his goals. That’s why we won last game. We need him for goals and if he puts this idea in his head he is able to do it every game. For the players, confidence has to be there all the time..."

"...not just because of good or bad performances or winning or losing games. The greatest athletes all the time have a strong mentality that we all have to learn from. That is the key difference..."

"They have to play, otherwise they will not be in a high level playing in the Premier League. They have quality and they can control it, they don’t need their manager, mum or friends to speak to them. They have to believe they are good enough."

Maybe that last bit is a nod to why he doesn't play more,when his mum and friends left he had a real dip
Strange things to say the day before the derby... but true. The greatest athletes of all-time do have a strong mentality. To become one of the best you have to have a strong mentality.

But he’s getting to an age where he will be maturing so hopefully his mentality matures as he does.

There’s been glimpses of a very good player with him, individual games or goals here and there but nothing more yet.

But, unlike wingers who seem to mature and become top players at a younger age, a lot of #9s over the years at his age weren’t at the clubs they made their name at. From Kun to Lewandowski to Ibrahimovic to Firmino to Benzema to Suarez to Drogba to Henry... have a look back at where they were at 22 and none were at the club where they made themselves famous, some weren’t even playing up front yet.

The only ones I can think of who were at their main clubs at 22 were Rooney and Higuain who were at United and Madrid respectively, and both of them were done-in physically by their late 20s.

For Jesus, he has 52 goals for the club at an age younger than the age we signed Kun (he was 23 when we signed him). This has to be a huge motivation for the lad to have a long term goal of becoming the clubs record goalscorer. That’s the hunger he needs long term and obviously more short term ones are to accumulate those goals one match at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends the average quality/league position of each of those clubs that Jesus and Agüero lead the line against. The detail is important with stats like that.

Depends the average quality/league position of each of those clubs that Jesus and Agüero lead the line against. The detail is important with stats like that.

Agreed, would appreciate if somebody can provide the details.

There is no denying Sergio played a key role for the league title last season. The goals against the rags and the dippers at the Etihad were sublime finishes.

Agreed, would appreciate if somebody can provide the details.

There is no denying Sergio played a key role for the league title last season. The goals against the rags and the dippers at the Etihad were sublime finishes.
And he was immense against Chelsea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.