#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a comment on Wednesday that Gabby needed a hat trick to boost his confidence. I thought that he probably wouldn't even kick it forward three times. In the event, every pass/ movement was backwards, then he was subbed.
If that's what Pep wants, so be it.

I think it is what Pep wants on most occasions.....retaining possession and recycling the play.How often do you see other players choosing the same option? our wingers very rarely take on their man,they nearly always look for the pass inside of backwards.
For a centre forward it must be no easy task playing in our set up.

Jesus is an ok goal scorer. It is very easy to get annoyed with his shortcomings in front of goal.

Positive contribution include:
Aggressive press
Constant running
Athletic player
Runs all day
Pass, pass, pass
Ball retention is good
Plays in multiple positions
Defends for the team.

Jesus is similar to Bernardo. Goal scoring not great but they bring all of the above to the team. Ederson is not the best goalkeepers in the world but his kicking, composure, mental strength is far more important for us. The team has no standout forward but what we do have is a lot of players who contribute greatly to how we play. More the sum of its parts rather than a specific attribute.

Jesus is an ok goal scorer. It is very easy to get annoyed with his shortcomings in front of goal.

Aggressive press
Constant running
Athletic player
Runs all day
Pass, pass, pass
Ball retention is good
Defends for the team.

Jesus is similar to Bernardo. Goal scoring not great but they bring all of the above to the team. Ederson is not the best goalkeepers in the world but his kicking, composure, mental strength is far more important for us. The team has no standout forward but what we do have is a lot of players who contribute greatly to how we play. More the sum of its parts rather than a specific attribute.
Which begs the question do we need a Haaland or do we need a similar player to Gabby who could score more (not sure there is a forward out there that matches these requirements). Gabby’s stats are suffering by the way we are setting up and playing, if we change the type of CF we may lose our control and style.

Aggressive press
Constant running
Athletic player
Runs all day
Pass, pass, pass
Ball retention is good
Defends for the team.

I think he'll score a lot more when/if we get back to our 2017-2019 style of play, with high, wide wingers, quicker transitions and more standard attacks.

Everything we're doing these days is so congested through the middle, so stifling, very improvised. You very rarely see our forwards get big chances on the end of flowing moves like we used to do 10x a match. That's one of the reasons I loved Foden's goal on Wednesday so much, it was a bit of a throwback. This season, a lot of it is from forcing our way through the low block with intricate passing. It's hurt Sterling a lot too.

If we're going to buy someone like Haaland...we'll need to revert our old style to get the best out of him, and I'm sure we will, and Jesus will have a much better time.

I do think the club has a bit of a dilemma on its hands. We need a forward that can work like Jesus but score regularly. Where does city find that type of footballer? We might have to sacrifice how we suffocate games.

It is a very contentious opinion but the team against villa felt close to the total domination team we had on the 28 run bar an inform Cancelo. Kev’s absence makes it easier for us to control and press teams into submission but we lack that killer/risky pass. No one is doubting his ability or his importance to the club. In a way we are seeing the difference in approach we take to games when debruyne starts. A new forward no matter who it it or how good he maybe, some games we will play better without. Is it better to have that option? Or will it only cause us to look weaker as a unit?

Last edited:
I think he'll score a lot more when/if we get back to our 2017-2019 style of play, with high, wide wingers, quicker transitions and more standard attacks.

Everything we're doing these days is so congested through the middle, so stifling, very improvised. You very rarely see our forwards get big chances on the end of flowing moves like we used to do 10x a match. That's one of the reasons I loved Foden's goal on Wednesday so much, it was a bit of a throwback. This season, a lot of it is from forcing our way through the low block with intricate passing. It's hurt Sterling a lot too.

If we're going to buy someone like Haaland...we'll need to revert our old style to get the best out of him, and I'm sure we will, and Jesus will have a much better time.
Perfect post. As you say fodens goal the other night was a joy, we need to do that more often.

I do think the club has a bit of a dilemma on its hands. We need a forward that can work like Jesus but score regularly. Where does city find that type of footballer? We might have to sacrifice how we suffocate games.

It is a very contentious opinion but the team against villa felt close to the total domination team we had on the 28 run bar an inform Cancelo. Kev’s absence makes it easier for us to control and press teams into submission but we lack that killer/risky pass. No one is doubting his ability or his importance to the club. In a way we are seeing the difference in approach we take to games when debruyne starts. A new forward no matter who it it or how good he maybe, some games we will play better without. Is it better to have that option? Or will it only cause us to look weaker as a unit?
"It is a very contentious opinion but the team against villa felt close to the total domination team we had on the 28 run bar an inform Cancelo." I fully agree with this and would like an in form Cancelo at RB and supporting Rodri with Gundogan pushing forward. I think it is the most balanced and flexible defence/midfield combination. If Kevin was fit I would like to see him play false 9 or a roving forward, beside Phil & Mahrez.That team is defensively solid but still has flair and attacking variation.

I would love to see us with pacy wingers in their strong foot but we don’t seem interested and we changed our style as a result of how teams have adapted to us as well. We rarely see anything other than a 5-4-1 or deep 4-5-1 shells in defense these days and many teams have adapted to our wing play by ensuring they can put both wingers in 1 v 2 situations. I think the idea earlier this year was to combat that with overlapping fullbacks and two holding midfielders but it never looks right. Now we have pushed the wingers even wider and use them more like midfielders while bombing the midfielders into the last man of the defensive line to try to cope with the wall of defenders we have been facing. I just don’t know that any return to our “old style” is possible unless teams get so concerned with us centrally that they prefer to gamble on our wingers in more 1 v 1

I would love to see us with pacy wingers in their strong foot but we don’t seem interested and we changed our style as a result of how teams have adapted to us as well. We rarely see anything other than a 5-4-1 or deep 4-5-1 shells in defense these days and many teams have adapted to our wing play by ensuring they can put both wingers in 1 v 2 situations. I think the idea earlier this year was to combat that with overlapping fullbacks and two holding midfielders but it never looks right. Now we have pushed the wingers even wider and use them more like midfielders while bombing the midfielders into the last man of the defensive line to try to cope with the wall of defenders we have been facing. I just don’t know that any return to our “old style” is possible unless teams get so concerned with us centrally that they prefer to gamble on our wingers in more 1 v 1
I think you make a lot of good points, but from my perspective it's a personnel thing.

The 1st three games of the league season all followed a pattern. For 20-30 minutes we played pretty much exactly like we did at the peak of 17/18. Blistering dominance. Pressing to perfection, incisive fast play, beautiful attacking football. And then in all three games after those early stages we turned to shit and hung on for dear life, beating Wolves, losing to Leicester, and drawing against Leeds. With Dias signing, this led to a defensive shift whilst Pep tried to figure out a way to change things as the high press wasn't sustainable, especially given the lack of preseason and the currently heavy fixture schedule.

Then a couple of games later Aguero gets injured again, and Jesus is out still with a mysterious injury, and this with the previous change is where I think Pep started to put stock into the false 9 more so than before. Because at BEST we'd only be playing with one striker given Aguero's fitness woes, so he needed a system that was replicable without one.

Jesus and Aguero have both played effectively as deep lying forwards since that point this season. Neither quite a false 9, but both playing much deeper and more selflessly than before.

Next season if we have signed a striker, then I think it's likely we see some form of reversion. Jesus will go back to alternating between being a poacher and a false 9, and the striker would take up Aguero's old role of being mostly a goal scorer with a few extra things in the middle. The best bit would be that with this season and the previous ones in tow we now have an extra layer of tactical variety. Any game where Pep isn't petrified of counters we should see what we used to next season, again assuming a striker is signed.

I think Pep has lost patient with him..

Wouldn't be surprised if GJ is used in a "player + cash" deal in the summer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.