#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, stats-based ratings system do tend to rely heavily on data. ;-)

As a data scientist, I appreciate a data driven assessment tool that can be used in tandem with our own more holistic, qualitative assessments. Leveraging both usually leads to a much more accurate understanding than only one.

More often than not the data backs Jesus’ substantial contribution to City’s performance, even when he does not score or assist.

For anyone interested, Whoscored has an overview of their rating system here (it’s unsurprisingly a bit vague given this is a paid service, as well):

/sponsored_content
Haha fair enough! I wasn't clear, I meant they can wildly bump up (or down) a rating in one game based on a couple specific stats which can take away from assessing the overall performance. But not always, sometimes the bumping up is merited. But over the course of a season I find they're generally a good indicator of what's what anyhow.

Haha fair enough! I wasn't clear, I meant they can wildly bump up (or down) a rating in one game based on a couple specific stats which can take away from assessing the overall performance. But not always, sometimes the bumping up is merited. But over the course of a season I find they're generally a good indicator of what's what anyhow.
Agree — I said in the Stones thread that WS is at its best when used as a form/performance trends tool.

As is the case with most analysis, trends (i.e. context) are everything.

He is a top player but different to Aguero. Those arguing that we need someone more 'efficient ' may well hate what they wish for - making the team worse by having an 'outstanding individual '.
Sergio is a legend, we all know it, but many are starting to realise that the whole team performs when Gabby plays.

Bollocks, he has to atune to the others not the team to him
Or the positive spin would be, the whole team, including Jesus, need to learn to be better regarding this so we can maximize a currently under utilized threat. Telling Jesus to never be offside while our mid can go on business as usual would be leaving a lot on the table and is contradictory to the essence of sport.
Everyone needs to strive to be better all the time, and that's Pep's way.
Every team is on to our playing out from the back now and are not drawn out so easily or are quick to park the bus, so when we create a turnover and get our man advantage situations we need to be more direct. Jesus anticipates this very well and moves to the space to link where the ball should be, when too many touches are taken the ball is late. Some he could've been better at weighing out patience vs. frustrations, that's his job, but others he shouldn't have had to and been off to the races.

Offsides per game career PL. from pl.com
Aguero - 194 off in 263 appearances: .74
Jesus - 59 off in 103 appearances: .57

Last edited:
[QUOTE="mikemcfc, Jesus anticipates this very well and moves to the space to link where the ball should be, when too many touches are taken the ball is late. [/QUOTE]
Bingo ! In the words of Joleon " He"s quick"! His thinking is a little too fast for his mate's. Reminds me of when I watched City possibly the first time at Maine Road. City had just signed a new player, my brother commented on him being far too good for City, why I asked, because he's always offside, he's far too quick for us was the reply. Who is he ? Denis Law !
Needless to say, he packed his bags and went off to Turin.

Or the positive spin would be, the whole team, including Jesus, need to learn to be better regarding this so we can maximize a currently under utilized threat. Telling Jesus to never be offside while our mid can go on business as usual would be leaving a lot on the table and is contradictory to the essence of sport.
Everyone needs to strive to be better all the time, and that's Pep's way.
Every team is on to our playing out from the back now and are not drawn out so easily or are quick to park the bus, so when we create a turnover and get our man advantage situations we need to be more direct. Jesus anticipates this very well and moves to the space to link where the ball should be, when too many touches are taken the ball is late. Some he could've been better at weighing out patience vs. frustrations, that's his job, but others he shouldn't have had to and been off to the races.

Offsides per game career PL. from pl.com
Aguero - 194 off in 263 appearances: .74
Jesus - 59 off in 103 appearances: .57

Thanks, I had looked up those offside stats, and those of other "top" strikers, who had a higher ratio of offside than Jesus. You saved me posting those this morning.
The issue is that some casual fans take a negative stance on a player, then they need to find sticks to beat that player with. Someone thought of offside, and others with a default stance on Jesus joined in.
The fans who think he is not good enough are basically dissing the coach who picks him and rates him very highly.
They will not change their stance now and will try to find any tentative negatives to prove a point.
Surprised his cheekbones don't come in for more critiscm

P

Patronising or what

Not meant to be patronizing.

Posters come from a wide range of backgrounds, different football experiences. Some watch City games on tv, or match of the day, and watch little else.whilst others study football, are tactically aware, and realise all premier league players are elite footballers with different skill sets.

Take the offside jibes about Jesus as an instance. I am sure not you,( so as not to be patronizing,) but some posters have tried to use it as a negative, and think he is off side most of the time. Now some posters with a little more knowledge know that elite footballers like Aguero, and Kane are offside at a greater ratio than Jesus. Offside is part of being a striker as last ditch fouls are for a centre half. The casual fan sees Jesus getting caught offside and doesn't realise other strikers are offside more.
So no , I was not trying to patronize, merely differentiating between different types of poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.