Gael Clichy - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, he's improving. I mean he won a bloody header last night, first one in 5 years!

On a serious note, last night should have told him it's time to start planning for life after football. Absolutely outclassed by a kid, and the kid wasn't an unknown quantity to him, he'd have trained against him several times. Simply nowhere near good enough, but he was a top quality player for Mancini. Sadly, time has moved on.

Was fuming Pep left him on and didn't give Angelino a run out.

Last night clearly proved why Pep chooses Kolarov over Clichy for leftback. Clichy used to be the better defender, but only in a more defensive minded team. That's why I thought he was much better with us under Mancini than at Arsenal under Wenger. But it was totaly no surprise to me Clichy was to be overlooked by Pep. On here it was just so many who have the Kolarov-out in their system they kept picking Clichy over Kolarov, while for Pep it seems not even to be a close contest. Not even mentioning the multifunctionality of both players: Clichy has none, Kolarov several.

I do agree Clichy has been a good player for us in the right system. For selling him I'm not sure as Angelino still seems to be behind Clichy. Clichy will no doubt be off, as will Sagna. Kolarov and Zaba might just survive depending who we bring in or what young players can move themselves up the ladder.

For me Clichy had a very good season in 11/12 and a decent enough one in 13/14, the rest of the time I've been less than impressed, his main asset was supposed to be his pace but many a time I've seen him skinned by opponents, especially in the previous two seasons and he offers little aerially or going forward so it's no real surprise that Kolarov has gone ahead of him under Pep.

Can't argue, he's been poor this season.

But for 3 years now he's not been good when rotated. Nor has Kolarov. Both have been much better after a sustained run. Clichy more so.
He's not been up to scratch when called upon. As he gets older, he needs time to discover his form now.

Last year we were all quick to blame the manager for rotating Clichy & Kolarov. Mancini and Pellegrini both preferred Clichy for defending and Kolarov for attacking.
Without a settled run of games they look as bad as they've ever looked.

Kolarov too has been used in 3/4 positions so far.

Clichy was awful last night, but he's out of position. He's rarely if at all played left back this season. Play him 3 games in a row at left back and he'll be fine.

I'm not claiming to know more than Pep, but I think most of us would have been able to save him some time and told him Clichy, Kolarov aren't good enough footballers to be Alaba.
Decent full backs on their day, toss off it.

I can't think of one player that is benefitting for this constant rotational and tactical movement. Every player looks worse than they did in September apart from Gundogan & Fernandinho.
Every defender looks worse with the possible exception of Sagna.

I can't agree with those that think he was a good attacking full back, he's always been a waste of space in the opposition half however he was very good defensively, not anymore he is absolutely atrocious these days. I don't think he's ever properly recovered from Callum McManaman tearing him a new arsehole in the cup final.

I think age has finally caught up to him. His natural speed and aggression has dwindled. Very good signing. Has had his run though.

Clichy should be remembered for his contributions to our title wins , he's generally been a good player but like a few of our squad age has crept up on them and its time to say goodbye and thanks for everything , instead of slagging the players unmercifully until they depart . Pep will be replacing players like Vinny,Zabs,Clichy,Kolarov,Hart,Sagna,Navas,Bony in the next couple of windows , the club has to evolve and change to keep up with the competition , some of these players have been absolute heroes for me but all good thing come to an end . On the brightside Jesus is coming to save us in January

When asked to defend he just cant.

New full backs, left and right so desperately needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.