Gambling firms back live sports advertising ban

Similar to how everyone I know calls the Manchester arena the MEN arena still, gambling companies know they've drilled the message into everyone's heads with how pervasive their advertising was.
But just tell people to 'gamble responsibly' and it's fine

Similar to how everyone I know calls the Manchester arena the MEN arena still, gambling companies know they've drilled the message into everyone's heads with how pervasive their advertising was.
But just tell people to 'gamble responsibly' and it's fine
Barclays are a good example of this, they weren't interested in renewing the title sponsorship of the Premier League as they knew they'd reached saturation point where they could stop paying for it and still have people associating them with it for decades.

They've only promised not to do it "whistle to whistle", so expect the pre and post game ads to be still rammed full of them, in reality it's just the 15 minute half time break they've said they won't advertise in.

The only reason they've done it is to appease the powers that be, to prevent a more widespread ban. Pretending to regulate themselves so no one else steps in and does it properly

I'm not sure there's a desperate shortfall in advertising. Again, it's the same argument as was put for tobacco advertising.
I'm not convinced but we'll see how it plays out. The rise in Premier League TV money has coincided with the rise in advertising spending by gambling firms. Only time will tell if other industries see that level of investment as being worthwhile.

I'm not convinced but we'll see how it plays out. The rise in Premier League TV money has coincided with the rise in advertising spending by gambling firms. Only time will tell if other industries see that level of investment as being worthwhile.

Correlation is not causation.

You don't think Sky paying more money for their rights has anything to do with them being able to get more money from advertisers?
It's mostly been paid for through rising subscriptions.
But do you think gambling companies are the only advertisers? UEFA competitions seem to do just fine without gambling ads.

In recent years, betting companies have invested millions in Britain’s professional football leagues through sponsorship deals and blanket advertising campaigns. The ever-increasing collaboration between the two has been labelled as the ‘Gamblification of professional football’ – a term which, for many, raises serious concerns. File on 4 puts this controversial relationship under the microscope, asking if football’s public endorsement of gambling companies is helping to normalise, even encourage, a pursuit which, for those most vulnerable, can lead to addiction, financial devastation and suicide in extreme cases.

In addition, we investigate the failure of gambling companies to stop millions in stolen money from being wagered on the beautiful game by customers involved in criminality. Firms should carry out anti-money laundering checks when large sums of money are lodged, won or lost by customers. But File on 4 has learned that some betting companies ignore these obligations, opening the door for the proceeds of crime to be gambled - and potentially laundered. In hearing the testimony of industry whistle-blowers, and that of problem gamblers who stole hundreds of thousands to fuel their addiction, we lay bare the sometimes darker matters associated with the fusion of the football and gambling industries.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000fgf3

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.