Game of Thrones (season 8)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 7evens, 31 Jan 2019.

1. Lee1983

Lee1983

Trailer for episode 3

2. TonyM

TonyM

So a negotiated peace settlement is not on the cards? Jeez why can’t we all just ... get along.. huh?

3. Gelsons Dad

Gelsons Dad

Wasn't thrilled with ep1 but ep2 was great. If they had cut the dragon riding crap out of ep1 along with half the lame 1 liners they could have made a single ep that covered 1+2. It may be that I didn't need any catch up as I've watched them all again recently but I found ep1 to be the weakest in all the series to date. Ep2 however was bang on.

4. urban genie

urban genie

So ep 3 dead pool

I'm going
    Beric, Greyworm, Euron lord Royce deffinately

The hound, tormund, tollet, jorah, lyanna, possibly
    Wild cards danny and possibly cersie
    lots of rumours the reason you don't see the knights king is because he has flown to kings landing to destroy the city with the dragon and create an army of the dead to head north

Everyone else lives for now

5. OB1

OB1

Yeah, I thought so. Reminded me of the scene in Jaws where they are sat at night in the boat's cabin drinking, telling stories and singing; which I rate one of the top ten movie scenes ever.

Gelsons Dad likes this.
  6. notthenorthernquarter

notthenorthernquarter

Team supported:
    Manchester City and England before the FA ruined the feeling
    Episode 1 was almost a meet and greet in case anyone who watched the series needed reminding who the actors/characters were, it'd better hurry its arse up and get into a meaningful plot soon.

7. OB1

OB1

I a relative GoT newbie and not into all the lore etc but the "dragon riding crap" appears to have a rather obvious purpose, which at least one person has set out on this thread.

8. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

I actually agree with the fundamentals of your post, these sorts of narrative “setup” periods are usually needed and beneficial to the story as a whole.

The issue I have is that, for me, the actual writing (dialogue, tone, scene framing, and plot devices) has changed significantly, and seems rather ham fisted now, as another poster aptly put it.

I don’t really want or need battles in every episode, I just want quality story-telling with clever dialogue and a tone that feels in keeping with previous seasons, and the last two episodes haven’t been that for me. They haven’t been horrible, they’ve just seemed “off”, very much like they do not have the books as a base to build from. It has felt more like the “spin-off” Game of Thrones show after the original has ended and Martin has moved on to other things.

At times it was bludgeoning the viewer with “care about this character more” moments or seeming “you wanted it, now you’ve got it” fan service bits. My missus and I actually laughed at a few points because the situations seemed so forced.

Battles / military conflict can cover poor or (in)different writing (and all manner of sin apart), which I think is the origin of many looking forward to them for the next few episodes.

9. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

Fair points, all.

I think the change this season is still much more pronounced, though, as I have talked to a few mates that have all said they are actually having a sort of “negative” reaction to certain dialogue and plot devices throughout these last two episodes that they hadn’t previously (laughing at times where it isn’t meant to be funny, feeling certain things to be forced, and just finding the quality lacking). Hopefully things will improve for the remaining episodes.

10. RandomJ

RandomJ

After the events of the upcoming battles that episode will be looked back on fondly. Many of those sharing one last moment together will die.