Game of Thrones (season 8)

You should have been there when they named a bridge.

giphy.gif
One of life’s great regrets that I missed it.

I keep thinking about rewatching GoT from the beginning, but having to go through season 8 again keeps stopping me. It was terrible.

It peaked at The Long Night and it couldn't recover. Some of that episode was fantastic. The Dothraki charging at the dead with torches and one by one, the torches going out, was fantastic, given the standing the Dothraki had in battle. The Night King scene for me was perfect. Djawadi's score was nothing short of genius, but the scene was brilliant. It didn't need combat, or words, it had just about as much suspense as you could muster and the kill scene was exactly how it should be. Take the guy above point about Snow but, if Arya doesn't kill the NK, it makes her entire Arc pointless too. The only way Jon should kill the NK is during a huge battle, which would feel cheap. The scene was built for an Arya kill and I think they got it bang on.

After that, it was just badly written horse shit until the very end. If it wasn't for Djawadi's score carrying it, and that one episode, i'd barely give it 2/10.

I keep thinking about rewatching GoT from the beginning, but having to go through season 8 again keeps stopping me. It was terrible.

It peaked at The Long Night and it couldn't recover. Some of that episode was fantastic. The Dothraki charging at the dead with torches and one by one, the torches going out, was fantastic, given the standing the Dothraki had in battle. The Night King scene for me was perfect. Djawadi's score was nothing short of genius, but the scene was brilliant. It didn't need combat, or words, it had just about as much suspense as you could muster and the kill scene was exactly how it should be. Take the guy above point about Snow but, if Arya doesn't kill the NK, it makes her entire Arc pointless too. The only way Jon should kill the NK is during a huge battle, which would feel cheap. The scene was built for an Arya kill and I think they got it bang on.

After that, it was just badly written horse shit until the very end. If it wasn't for Djawadi's score carrying it, and that one episode, i'd barely give it 2/10.

Ending after the Long Night battle and the death of the Night King would’ve been far preferable imho. We could’ve imagined the rest and what came next ourselves.

So guys, daft questions from a newbie but.. last episode:
1. Why did Dany not just take her dragon straight to the Royal quarters and fry Cersei, why did she have to destroy a whole city of innocents before she got there? Yeah, ok, some advisors had died and she was upset (Jorah and Missandei), but why didn't she listen to Tyrion, Snow etc, and why did she go off on a bender? Just seemed the most illogical thing in the whole programme.
2. So the dragon doesn't just burn King's Landing but demolishes/destroys every building? Er, ok. Was the dragon breathing fire or missiles?
Answers welcome.

1. Basically, the books have been masterfully building up to/foreshadowing Dany potentially going insane in a slow, believable way and becoming like her father. Unfortunately, the TV show writers didn't have the nuance or the patience to do that so instead they threw it together quickly at the end. The result is that it does feel illogical and unearned.

2. Personally I don't have an issue with that, I assume the dragon is breathing fire with a huge amount of power so that combined with the heat is probably going to do a lot of damage to the (fairly primitive) architecture of King's Landing.

1. Basically, the books have been masterfully building up to/foreshadowing Dany potentially going insane in a slow, believable way and becoming like her father. Unfortunately, the TV show writers didn't have the nuance or the patience to do that so instead they threw it together quickly at the end. The result is that it does feel illogical and unearned.

2. Personally I don't have an issue with that, I assume the dragon is breathing fire with a huge amount of power so that combined with the heat is probably going to do a lot of damage to the (fairly primitive) architecture of King's Landing.

Thanks for that reply pal, v useful. Particularly interesting to note your point re the more careful build up to that point in the books, so it made more sense.

Ending after the Long Night battle and the death of the Night King would’ve been far preferable imho. We could’ve imagined the rest and what came next ourselves.
There needs to be a remastering of that episode, if you put the brightness up you can actually see things that should be in shot! Also, some explanation of things they had brought up in the whole fucking series would be nice. The last season was a total shit-show, they completely ballsed it up when they could still have exited gracefully and covered off the bases they had left open with simple stories.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.