Games that brought you back to earth with a thump

I was there for the first of those defeats in 1965. It was a draw in the first match at Maine Road and I booked a rail ticket to Shrewsbury for the replay. I then had a nasty dose of flu and was worried that I would not be able to travel but I recover in time.

We arrived at the old Gay Meadow stadium. It was right by the river Severn and balls often ended up in the water. They used to employ a guy (Fred Davies) in a coracle to retrieve list balls.

Before we paid to get in someone had a heave at an exit gate and found that it was not locked. Loads of us piled through the open gate.

That was as good as it got and City were well beaten. The special train was very depressing going back after the match. The team were aboard the train and rather than being crestfallen after the result, they all seemed more concerned about chasing some of the girls on the train.
I was at MR for the first match, but could not go to the replay thank god. That first game was played on a quagmire iirc with tons of water on the pitch with players skating around.
Oh happy days.

Was it not the 4-1 home pasting with our one shot Huckerby’s Penalty -easy to mix up the shambolic defeats just as the Red Scum are finding out right now!
At least 20 years of omnishambles is just one big blur to me now.

It’s weird the games that stick in your mind from your younger days but for me one of the most disappointing defeats I can remember was when Palace beat us 3 or 4 nil at Maine Rd in the mid 80s.

We’d been on a decent run and hauled ourselves into promotion contention but we were brutally exposed that day by Wright and Bright who tore us to shreds and we ended up with 10 men when Nixon was sent off. It was near Christmas if memory serves but even tho the season had a long way to go the manner of the defeat meant we knew we weren’t gonna be anywhere near good enough to go up.
That match was a disgrace, Bright constantly running into Nixon. We were ahead 1 nil, Paul Lake until fairly near the end, the penalty at the sending off and Redmond in goal. losing 3-1 without a keeper with 10 men, seemed like a blip, but our purple patch following the 10-1 and some other big wins was now over and were fairly average after that with promotion chances ending after the Blackburn away, Stowell's debut.

Lyon for me in recent memory, wrongly thought it was done and then the Sterling miss and quickfire Dembele, I left that one stunned probably more so than Madrid last season as we all knew when that first one went in it was curtains (City after all)
As soon as I saw the team sheet against Lyon I thought what the fuck.
We are getting beat I could not believe it. Pissed off before a ball was kicked wasn't the word.
Same applies for the champions league final. Love Pep but he has fucked about to much at times.

this league game ?

Stockport County 3-1 Manchester City​

and this

The oddest defeat to County was in the Keegan season at Edgeley. We were coasting to the title in spectacular style, seemingly unbeatable, while they were already relegated, rock bottom on about 15 points IIRC. 1-0 up fairly early on and with the goals we scored that season surely they were going to get a long overdue hammering, but no, two goals in the last five minutes and they still beat us, their fans on the pitch etc. Was hard to believe at the time (even in the days of typical City)

United have a history of doing this to us. Ones that spring to mind:

3-1 up at MR, Colin Hendry, they score two in the last 10 mins (90?)

2-0 up at HT through two Quinn headers, lost 3-2, Keane’s winner at the Platt Lane end, absolutely unbearable (94?)

Owen’s 97th minute winner after the elation of our late equaliser

Van Persie last minute free kick when we were bouncing after pulling back a two goal deficit

The league was won in 2018, we should have been five up by half time, literally no-one saw their comeback coming

Hope we put five past the c nts in October!

Last edited:
The oddest defeat to County was in the Keegan season at Edgeley. We were coasting to the title in spectacular style, seemingly unbeatable, while they were already relegated, rock bottom on about 15 points IIRC. 1-0 up fairly early on and with the goals we scored that season surely they were going to get a long overdue hammering, but no, two goals in the last five minutes and they still beat us, their fans on the pitch etc. Was hard to believe at the time (even in the days of typical City)
Iirc, the fixture list was crowded and we were playing 3 times a week at that point. I went to Wimbledon vs City at that time and we looked very tired. Huckerby was so tired he couldn’t stay onside at all. Pearce was sent off! Think it was a draw.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.