Games that brought you back to earth with a thump

After the last Maine Road derby win 3-1 , I think we played Charlton Athletic at home next match and got beat
0-1.
"From the sublime to the ridiculous" definitely springs to mind on that occasion.
After the last Maine Road derby win 3-1 , I think we played Charlton Athletic at home next match and got beat
0-1.
"From the sublime to the ridiculous" definitely springs to mind on that occasion.
Was it not the 4-1 home pasting with our one shot Huckerby’s Penalty -easy to mix up the shambolic defeats just as the Red Scum are finding out right now!

Some FA Cup defeats, twice to Shrewsbury for example, not great.
I was there for the first of those defeats in 1965. It was a draw in the first match at Maine Road and I booked a rail ticket to Shrewsbury for the replay. I then had a nasty dose of flu and was worried that I would not be able to travel but I recover in time.

We arrived at the old Gay Meadow stadium. It was right by the river Severn and balls often ended up in the water. They used to employ a guy (Fred Davies) in a coracle to retrieve list balls.

Before we paid to get in someone had a heave at an exit gate and found that it was not locked. Loads of us piled through the open gate.

That was as good as it got and City were well beaten. The special train was very depressing going back after the match. The team were aboard the train and rather than being crestfallen after the result, they all seemed more concerned about chasing some of the girls on the train.

First ones that come to mind are Wigan in the Fa Cup final and Spuds at home in the Champions League they were tough to take.
Boredom: City 0 Bristol Rovers 0
Sobering :Blackpool.0 City 0
Despair: Lincoln 3 City 1
No hope Rodney Rowes winner at .........Y.
City 0 Bristol Rovers 0 was my 40th Birthday -thanks for absolutely Fuck All City -not the first or the last time you ended up saying something like this!!

I think I must have been so disappointed with that one that I don't remember ever watching those highlights. At least it means I've not been filled with injustice at that ridiculous sending off. I do remember that I was working so couldn't go. Came out of whatever I was doing to put the car radio on just in time to hear that we were out - like you I was sure this was our year!
I was that pissed off that night I left and watched the last 15 minutes in the “Derby Hotel” in a seething rage!!

Remember November 93 Rags home 2 up HT lost 3-2,they played Galatasery (spelling) in Europe few days before at OT finished 3-3 and they we're 2 up Kippax singing 2-0 up and you fucked it up United his there name,coonts had the last laugh.

It’s weird the games that stick in your mind from your younger days but for me one of the most disappointing defeats I can remember was when Palace beat us 3 or 4 nil at Maine Rd in the mid 80s.

We’d been on a decent run and hauled ourselves into promotion contention but we were brutally exposed that day by Wright and Bright who tore us to shreds and we ended up with 10 men when Nixon was sent off. It was near Christmas if memory serves but even tho the season had a long way to go the manner of the defeat meant we knew we weren’t gonna be anywhere near good enough to go up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.