Gaming PC

Tevez32mcfc

My lad wanted a PS5 for Christmas but has now changed his mind and wants a gaming PC instead. I was looking at replacing my laptop with something more powerful anyway so it works out quite well.

Problem is I can't get my head around what is best. He downloads emulators on my laptop and plays the old Sega and Nintendo games but wants to be able to do that and play current games like Fifa Flight Simulator, GTA etc. I would use it for work purposes as well (Word, Outlook, Football manager).

Looked online and the prices range from the £500 mark to £2000! Wasn't looking to spend anymore than £750 to be honest.

Sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated. I don't want to buy something then find in 6 months it's memory is full etc.

Replace your laptop with whatever you see fit. Get him a subscription to GEForce.

It allows you to play games streamed. You simply need a good internet connection. Not all games are available this way but I have used it on my old desktop and it works great.

Whatever you do don't go to a place like PC World, Alienware or anything like that, they'll absolutely rob you blind and the PCs they sell are always substandard. You can always find the exact same configuration cheaper elsewhere or even just build it yourself for half the price.

Scan in Bolton are really decent and if you're local you can collect from their shop but there are many other companies out there. You can also get a custom one built where you choose the exact parts to cost and then they build it for you. This will cost a little more but it's still cheaper than anything branded.

You can also buy the parts and build it yourself which is the cheapest option but you need to know what you're buying and doing.

You'll get more bang for your buck with a desktop tbh, but obviously if you're using it as your main laptop too, then that's not ideal.

I remember someone talking about Steam Decks for playing the latest games on the cheap. I don't know if they're any good, but maybe someone else will be able to advise.

You can also buy the parts and build it yourself which is the cheapest option but you need to know what you're buying and doing.
I tried this once, and it's very easy until something doesn't do what the instructions say it would, and then you're fucked. Ended up having to get a man in to finish it for me.

I tried this once, and it's very easy until something doesn't do what the instructions say it would, and then you're fucked. Ended up having to get a man in to finish it for me.
I built a PC with my son when he was around 13. Was a great exercise for him to understand how to budget a project and learn that you have to work out issues like compatibility and what actually makes PCs work fast v's just sounding good / looking good. Its also something he now knows how to fix and upgrade.

Had to up the budget from what i first thought and prices were rocketing back then. But £750 should be fine.

Playing series X games across the network I believe is a thing now, you would be letting the console do all the heavy lifting graphicly and processer wise. I have the ability to test it if anyone here hasn't already done so.

PS5 may have similar but i dont own one to know.

If 6you pay £500 for a series X and are able to stream it to any lappie then yer laughing.

*probably need fibre optic BB to be anywhere near playable

Playing series X games across the network I believe is a thing now, you would be letting the console do all the heavy lifting graphicly and processer wise. I have the ability to test it if anyone here hasn't already done so.

PS5 may have similar but i dont own one to know.

If 6you pay £500 for a series X and are able to stream it to any lappie then yer laughing.

*probably need fibre optic BB to be anywhere near playable

You can pay for game pass ultimate and play using virtually any device that can download the app, don't even need the Xbox, but obviously you're limited to what games are on the GP.

Thanks all.

@inbetween I did have my eye on a Scan Argen that I found on Amazon. If based in Bolton I may even pay them a visit and buy direct of cheaper.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.