Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

Not so sure about that.Yes there are less people and in some cases more visible wildlife....But the disappearance of wasps Bees hornets dragonflies damsel flies,blue bottles red bottles ,green bottles ...etc etc ..nean that bird species, in this country are on the decline....and have been for some years..6 wks of lockdown is neither here nor there......The reluctance of migatory birds to visit our shores is another indicator of where we are heading.The Cuckoo appears to have given up on good old blighty....sad.
The wifi and the masts have an awful lot to answer for...
And where are the mad angry Ants nests...used to be a daily scene..them Marching on together(leeds/The Alatm)..but The Damage Done (Sisters of Mercy ) by man is not gonna be repaired in a few weeks.
Anyone hear a Cuckoo this summer,...i might be convinced.
I doubt it.
I’ve heard one cuckoo this month but do agree with the rest of your post. We won’t undo years of habitat destruction, pesticides, etc in a few short weeks. Still, people appreciating nature more can’t be a bad thing.

Not so sure about that.Yes there are less people and in some cases more visible wildlife....But the disappearance of wasps Bees hornets dragonflies damsel flies,blue bottles red bottles ,green bottles ...etc etc ..nean that bird species, in this country are on the decline....and have been for some years..6 wks of lockdown is neither here nor there......The reluctance of migatory birds to visit our shores is another indicator of where we are heading.The Cuckoo appears to have given up on good old blighty....sad.
The wifi and the masts have an awful lot to answer for...
And where are the mad angry Ants nests...used to be a daily scene..them Marching on together(leeds/The Alatm)..but The Damage Done (Sisters of Mercy ) by man is not gonna be repaired in a few weeks.
Anyone hear a Cuckoo this summer,...i might be convinced.
I doubt it.
Try the western isles of Scotland (the only time I have ever seen them flying about) or rural Perthshire round the Lake of Menteith. They are as common as...Ospreys.

It'll take decades and decades.
My former wife, who knew a lot about these things, said that hedgehogs and glow worms (especially the latter) occupy a sort of canary-in-coal-mine role in gardens. Any garden that's got loads of pesticide in it, they're not around. I'm glad to say that on long hot summer evenings, we'd have a hedgehog or two tootle round the garden, going about its business. And the glow worms would ‘switch on’.
Sorry not to be about birds, but it's all related, isn't it?

My blackbirds have been busy again today.
They don't mind a bit of graft I'll give em that.
They've been at it all day nest building. Singing their heads off too.
I think they're happy.
I just hope the squirrels leave them alone when they decide to start a family.

It'll take decades and decades.
My former wife, who knew a lot about these things, said that hedgehogs and glow worms (especially the latter) occupy a sort of canary-in-coal-mine role in gardens. Any garden that's got loads of pesticide in it, they're not around. I'm glad to say that on long hot summer evenings, we'd have a hedgehog or two tootle round the garden, going about its business. And the glow worms would ‘switch on’.
Sorry not to be about birds, but it's all related, isn't it?
Funny you should say that about hedgehogs, I've not seen one yet round my way this year. Usually I see a fair few (either in the garden or in the road flattened)

Funny you should say that about hedgehogs, I've not seen one yet round my way this year. Usually I see a fair few (either in the garden or in the road flattened)

Mother-in-law has a hedgehog box in her large garden.

She gets all sorts -> fox, badger, weasel, stoat, pheasants and last year a mink.

Like animal farm.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.