Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

I couldn't sleep due to tinnitus so came downstairs for a spiff and a beer. Sat outside in the still of the night just chilling in my back garden. Nice and melow and I hear a Barn owl call out "twit-ta-who twit-ta-who" a distinct sound I recognised quite nearby. Suddenly it's mate replied and I became enthralled by their calls.
This lasted about 20-30 minutes before the silence back to the still of the night.

Maybe one flew over to the other and they've having a shag right now.

*I mean a shag as in bird to eat for their supper.. WFT did you think I meant? ; )

*Edit*.

An hour or so later they're back calling each other.

Ornithological bliss!

"Nature is a language can't you read?. So ask me ask me ask me. Because".

Last edited:
Let the garden ggo a bit wild for most of lockdown. Had a family of goldfinches having regular picnics for a while, frog joined me in the garage for a workout one day and started seeing some pretty high-calibre shits which while they weren't fox poo, I could only guess were from the red kites we have in the vicinity.

Now they are incredible to watch gliding and swooping down. And massive with it.

Let the garden ggo a bit wild for most of lockdown. Had a family of goldfinches having regular picnics for a while, frog joined me in the garage for a workout one day and started seeing some pretty high-calibre shits which while they weren't fox poo, I could only guess were from the red kites we have in the vicinity.

Now they are incredible to watch gliding and swooping down. And massive with it.
Cool birds!

I'm expecting Zebras and Wildebeest in the next instalment. Just squirrels in my back garden.
Reminds me of a great line from Fawlty Towers. Woman complains about the view from her room; Basil looks out and reposts: "That, madam, is Torquay. What did you expect, herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain?

I couldn't sleep due to tinnitus so came downstairs for a spiff and a beer. Sat outside in the still of the night just chilling in my back garden. Nice and melow and I hear a Barn owl call out "twit-ta-who twit-ta-who" a distinct sound I recognised quite nearby. Suddenly it's mate replied and I became enthralled by their calls.
This lasted about 20-30 minutes before the silence back to the still of the night.

Maybe one flew over to the other and they've having a shag right now.

*I mean a shag as in bird to eat for their supper.. WFT did you think I meant? ; )

*Edit*.

An hour or so later they're back calling each other.

Ornithological bliss!

"Nature is a language can't you read?. So ask me ask me ask me. Because".
The twit ta who you report is two birds calling to each other.
The “twit” bit is the female call
And the the “ta who” is the male response.

I was sitting in the garden yesterday, watching the birds feed, and how to solve the worlds problems, when out of the sky swooped a buzzard trying to catch one of the birds. She was fine, but it really was a sight to behold.

There's a couple of buzzards nest in a tree close to my apartment block and I quite often see them soaring over our street on the thermals. Majestic birds.

Last week we had a wodge of swallows (not sure if they were laden or unladen) which were quite nice to look at.

There's a couple of buzzards nest in a tree close to my apartment block and I quite often see them soaring over our street on the thermals. Majestic birds.

Last week we had a wodge of swallows (not sure if they were laden or unladen) which were quite nice to look at.
We have Swifts that fly over our garden. They are my favourite bird. I absolutely love and marvel at how evolution has worked its magic for these incredible creatures. I could watch them all day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.