Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

Neighbour has 5 cats - they are out day and night murdering any birdlife. Legally cats have a 'right to roam' it would seem and now that tool Gove wants you to have to report it if you flatten one of the furry fookers which crap on my lawns every night.

I have 2 neighbours with ponds and they get a random duck on them,i tempted to build one so i can watch the duck
We are lucky to have water at the end of the garden.

My wife was feeding ducks in the garden with bird seed in April and May - Deborah (yes she named one of them) came back on Friday with her ducklings - very sweet

For the same reason we get a daily visit from the family of Water Hens - also cute now they are no longer shy

Oh and by the way please can we have the correct spelling of the birds names and therefore the correct pronunciation. They are Sparrers not sparrows. Well the manc ones are anyway.
I rember my youth in Eccles and Salford - always woken up by the Sparrers - where I have lived down south for 30 years I can genuinely not recall seeing one.

Wierd that

Last edited:
Owls, wow you lucky man. Owls are my favourite birds. Last I saw one I was driving north on the M6 near Carlisle about 2am. I noticed a barn owl swooping across the carriageway. It flew straight into my windscreen and as I was driving about 70mph it had no chance. I was absolutely gutted I killed such a magnificent bird: (
Similar sad story

Last year we found a Kingfisher dead by the back patio - obviously had flown into the sliding doors. We were gutted - such a beautiful creature

Neighbour has 5 cats - they are out day and night murdering any birdlife. Legally cats have a 'right to roam' it would seem and now that tool Gove wants you to have to report it if you flatten one of the furry fookers which crap on my lawns every night.
We have a few pair of Magpies around our communal gardens. The fattest and ballsiest of which loves nothing more than perching on the fences baiting downstairs' three legged mog. That bird doesn't give a toss. I took a dislike to him when he started sitting on my gutter in order to loudly announce to the neighbourhood that the hour was five 'am and the sun would be up soon. Since then we've had a bit of a battle of wills (and minds)... which has de-escalated into a seemingly endless series of staring matches, me glaring out of my window, him making sure to stay just out of apple-throwing range.

Also, I wouldn't swear it, but I'm pretty sure we have nightingales at this time of year. It's really something to hear them decide to start broadcasting as you are falling asleep.

Went to a little island off the east coast of Ireland on Saturday and seen these beauty's and I'm sure you'd see some of them in the odd garden
85f802d27033cc2977a49740b7e7b25c.jpg
735a08d16d536e156ef0b645856ac034.jpg
8b1f0600b2a0453574cd3290cf176d95.jpg
I’ve never seen Puffins off the east coast, but saw them when diving off the South West. The aptly named Puffin Island.
Cute little things.

We are lucky to have water at the end of the garden.

My wife was feeding ducks in the garden with bird seed in April and May - Deborah (yes she named one of them) came back on Friday with her ducklings - very sweet

For the same reason we get a daily visit from the family of Water Hens - also cute now they are no longer shy
I'm going to do it now you have said that

I'm going to do it now you have said that
The cheap seed that you can get in pet shops was loved by the ducks - and apparently far better for them than bread.

What also seemed to work well was a bowl of water next to the seed as they drank a lot whilst eating

If I knew how to upload a photo I could have posted one from the weekend

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.