Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

I used to have a large back garden which backed on to a river. Beyond the river a big deciduous wood, beyond that, the moors. Was brilliant for all kinds of birds, including kestrels, sparrow hawks, jays, goldfinches. But my fave was the tawny owls. At night, they would perch right outside my bedroom window on the roof of the bay below. Lovely mellow hoots. In the morning, the hard parts of beetles etc scattered around indicated the birds' supper.
Moved, on retirement to a smaller place, but still plenty of songbirds. At this time of year, we always hear the beautiful evening soloist as a blackbird goes through his amazing repertoire of imitations.
PS. Kites seem to be making a comeback hereabouts. Seen at least 4 in recent weeks. One was gliding at below tree top height just 40 yards away, fantastic sight.
Owls, wow you lucky man. Owls are my favourite birds. Last I saw one I was driving north on the M6 near Carlisle about 2am. I noticed a barn owl swooping across the carriageway. It flew straight into my windscreen and as I was driving about 70mph it had no chance. I was absolutely gutted I killed such a magnificent bird: (

Owls, wow you lucky man. Owls are my favourite birds. Last I saw one I was driving north on the M6 near Carlisle about 2am. I noticed a barn owl swooping across the carriageway. It flew straight into my windscreen and as I was driving about 70mph it had no chance. I was absolutely gutted I killed such a magnificent bird: (

You should hang for your crimes.

She needs one of these musty. No chance of drowning and no more broken bones. @karen7 Buy one and come up for the VK game in it, I'll roll you to the stadium from town ; )

That has to be the best thing ever for Kaz, no more worries about breaking things but it might be a little difficult getting her into the pub.

Oh and by the way please can we have the correct spelling of the birds names and therefore the correct pronunciation. They are Sparrers not sparrows. Well the manc ones are anyway.

Feeders are the way to go mate. They pull our feathered friends in like magnets. Hang a few decent size ones in the trees around your garden, Sun flower seeds are best I find if a bit pricey. Put some fat balls and coconut full of seeds out as well.

Our resident sparrow hawk uses the feeders to target small birds. Hits them at speed and takes them away to its plucking post.
Definately agree with the sun flower seeds, attract more than anything. Although the humming birds and orioles just drink sugar water
A bird bath helps a lot too

Last edited:
Definately agree with the sun flower seeds, attract more than anything. Although the humming birds and orioles just drink sugar water
A bird bath helps a lot too
Bird bath definitely! Although the bloody wood pigeons just about empty the thing when they have a dip.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.