Gareth Barry on signing for City

Only those who watched him week in week out appreciated him fully. Most football fans were blind to his talents sadly as he didn’t court attention like some of the other show ponies in the EPL
The players definitely rated him highly which tells you all you need to know about his value to the team.

Great article on the official site based on comments from Brian Marwood.

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/brian-marwood-man-city-podcast-63737577

This is just a part of it:

“We were in a car going to the medical and we had TalkSport on and people were absolutely slaughtering Gareth (for) choosing Manchester City over Liverpool.

“It was: "He's only gone for the money and he's no ambition" and "Who are Man Citycompared to Liverpool?"

“And I remember saying: "You want to turn this off" and Gareth said: "No, I want to listen to this."

“I said: "Why do you want to listen to this?"

He said: "Because I'm going to prove these people wrong."

He said: "Actually, Liverpool are offering me more money, but I want to come here because you've sold me about a vision, you've sold me about trying to create history.

“So, I'm really determined to make this work."

Whatta guy!! Extremely underrated player for me, he was touching World Class at his peak!

Great article on the official site based on comments from Brian Marwood.

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/brian-marwood-man-city-podcast-63737577

This is just a part of it:

“We were in a car going to the medical and we had TalkSport on and people were absolutely slaughtering Gareth (for) choosing Manchester City over Liverpool.

“It was: "He's only gone for the money and he's no ambition" and "Who are Man Citycompared to Liverpool?"

“And I remember saying: "You want to turn this off" and Gareth said: "No, I want to listen to this."

“I said: "Why do you want to listen to this?"

He said: "Because I'm going to prove these people wrong."

He said: "Actually, Liverpool are offering me more money, but I want to come here because you've sold me about a vision, you've sold me about trying to create history.

“So, I'm really determined to make this work."
Great Player was Gareth Barry

Sold too early.

Quality player and hugely underrated by many.
Yep, sold 1 season too early at least. I think his legs were gone after that not that he ever moved particularly fast at any time. Which makes just how good he was even more extraordinary, possibly a better reader of the game than even Fern. Always willing to 'take one' for the team as well.

A steady eddie who did a great job with little fuss or recognition elsewhere. Much of his work went under the radar, sliding tackles by the likes of De Jong may have attracted more attention, but GB was pivotal in our early recent successes. He's not the PL appearance record holder by accident.

If we’d have had Gareth Barry in the squad for the 13/14 season we wouldn’t have needed Slippy G pulling out all the stops to help us win the league. Definitely should have been kept for at least one more season and as has been said countless times, a player of his quality and capability is only truly appreciated by fans of the teams he plays for especially if you are watching him week in week out at the ground.
Well played for proving them wrong and thank you again for your efforts GazBaz!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.