Gary Speed

It obviously was never confirmed and whatever the reason for his decision to end his life is extremely sad.

The inquest concluded a narrative verdict not suicide. It wasn't clear whether it was a big gesture as a cry for help or genuine decision to end his life. He had texted his wife about it before he did it.

Because he didn't leave a note it will always be unknown.

As I said in a previous post, I'm not convinced there is a big secret that serves as an explanation. My supposition is he was a long term depressive who couldn't adapt to the loss of full-time professional football and management and more time around his family and extra stress from arguments.

We have the impression of professional sports people with long careers as being emotionally strong and resilient. But I don't think that is necessarily the case, and not in all contexts, inside he could have just been the same teenage kid who wanted to end it all when he was homesick in Leeds.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.