Gavin Bazunu | Joins Southampton on a permanent deal

Bazunu seems to be amazing...but Ederson is 28. Feels like no one has a chance at all breaking in any time soon. At least 5 years left for Ederson you'd guess.

It's unlikely. The only thing I would say is that if you told anyone in the summer of 2015 that Joe Hart, then 28, was heading into his last season as Manchester City goalkeeper, no one would believe you.

Things can change very quickly, especially with a managerial or coaching staff change that we seem to be headed towards, if not in 2023 then soon after.

I believe Bazunu is under contract until 2025, so time's not an issue. The club should be looking to plot his career on a path where he could compete with Ederson for a starting spot around that time (when Ederson would be 33(?) - which is about normal for keepers to drop off, even great ones. Buffon is the exception.

Last edited:
I don't think Bazunu even needs another loan to be our backup, feels like he has shown enough lately to warrant that chance next year.

The other issue is Ederson can play until he's 35-40 easily. That's a minimum of 7 years, so even then, Bazunu isn't going to wait until his late 20s to be a starter for us.

I don't think Bazunu even needs another loan to be our backup, feels like he has shown enough lately to warrant that chance next year.

The other issue is Ederson can play until he's 35-40 easily. That's a minimum of 7 years, so even then, Bazunu isn't going to wait until his late 20s to be a starter for us.
Easily? No-one can predict that as even goalies can fall off a cliff, as mentioned above Hart is a very good example of that.

I can see Steffen moving on next season as he's too good now to play backup, there's no reason Gavin can't take his spot (presuming he's happy to do so).

To replace Ederson (or even Stefen) he needs to control 33% of the pitch alone a lot of the time. He's very good at saving but I'm not sure if he's very commanding of his box yet. IMO he needs a lot more experience in a good league and with a club that'll trust him to play the ball out in a controlled manner, be a sweeper and make rash decisions at times to cover a lot of ground (some will come off and some won't).

If he's looking for a big move soon then I'd doubt he will become all that great. Hopefully he's willing to learn and put in the hard slog.

Easily? No-one can predict that as even goalies can fall off a cliff, as mentioned above Hart is a very good example of that.

I can see Steffen moving on next season as he's too good now to play backup, there's no reason Gavin can't take his spot (presuming he's happy to do so).
Hart didn't fall off a cliff because of his age.

He didn't suit Pep's style of play.

Easily.

Could have done better for their goal but made a string of good saves, one in particular with his feet from Mitrovic. His passing was excellent, almost at at Edersons level. I don't think he's as good a shot stopper as Kelleher but looks like he has the Irish Jersey for the moment.
It would be interesting if we have a similar rivalry with Liverpool with the Irish keepers as we currently do with the Brazilian keepers
Kelleher must be the best shot stopper in history then. Bazunu saved 18 out of 22 shots he faced on target during the week.

Kelleher must be the best shot stopper in history then. Bazunu saved 18 out of 22 shots he faced on target during the week.
I know how many he saved. They are both very good young keepers.
I think Kelleher makes better reaction saves, both are similar with crosses and Bazunu has better distribution.
Both will probably have to move on as Allison and Ederson look like being around for a long time.
Bazunu got in when Kelleher was injured and has taken his opportunity brilliantly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.