Ged Brannan/97-98 season thread!

Who the fuck are these cranks with positive things to say about Brannan?

He might be a nice bloke but on the pitch he was the poster boy for the decline. Brought in with a bit of a fanfare and absolutely terrible when in blue.

I have never heard a City fan with a good word to say about Ged as a player (no offence if you are reading, Ged, it just didn't work out, did it?), so to read people semi rating him on here is a massive shock.

Fuck me. Whenever I, or most blues I know, need a reference point for a shite City player, Ged is the man. There's probably worse than him but he cost a fair bit and came with a bit of a reputation when we couldn't afford for signings like that to be crap. And then proceeded to play in the side that slipped to the lowest point ever. Jim (or Jeff, one of them) Whitley fecked off to Wrexham and became a miles better player at that level when he came back. Just cos he learnt how to do a midfielders' job in Division Two.

Got to be right up there with most awful players to have played for us.

Who remembers playing away at port vale and he made a challenge and was being booked by the ref while city fans were shouting off,off,off,off?

Re: Ged Brannan

n_mcfc said:
I'm not sure how I came across the video but it did make me laugh when I saw the goal.

Like I said, the away support looks mint and so does the kit. It just reminded me of the time and, like at the start of any season, being blindly optimistic for the forthcoming season.

After smashing Forest away 3-1, you could forgive us for thinking like that! There are a few videos on YouTube of that season. I know, why would anyone want to watch it but it is refreshing to watch now and again. And nostalgic.

I grew up with City being shit. Completely shit. Us winning was an unknown thing for me. I was only 6-7 years old that season so I guess I was lucky in the sense that I didn't fully understand just how shite we were!

Another 'good' win!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qKzYOvfTW0[/youtube]

-- Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:37 pm --

And another Ged Brannan stunner! (9:14)
Christ, how shite. How very shite.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_4YdG83vRU[/youtube]

That Commentator couldn't be more of a County man if he tried! Bet he isn't so happy these days.

I was at that match and it was a stinker and I've tried to blank it out of the memory cells. Recent successes have helped that, but one memory still remains and that was of Kit Symons getting booked, with the even the City fans chanting "OFF OFF OFF" at him.

jma said:
Who the fuck are these cranks with positive things to say about Brannan?

He might be a nice bloke but on the pitch he was the poster boy for the decline. Brought in with a bit of a fanfare and absolutely terrible when in blue.

I have never heard a City fan with a good word to say about Ged as a player (no offence if you are reading, Ged, it just didn't work out, did it?), so to read people semi rating him on here is a massive shock.

Fuck me. Whenever I, or most blues I know, need a reference point for a shite City player, Ged is the man. There's probably worse than him but he cost a fair bit and came with a bit of a reputation when we couldn't afford for signings like that to be crap. And then proceeded to play in the side that slipped to the lowest point ever. Jim (or Jeff, one of them) Whitley fecked off to Wrexham and became a miles better player at that level when he came back. Just cos he learnt how to do a midfielders' job in Division Two.

^^^^^ Spot-on^^^^^ Like I said one of worse ever signings

Was at Forest that night, as i was every game that season and yes, he was shit but who wasn't?

Even Kinky had given up by then.

Its been interesting to read how some people excuse him on the basis he was surrounded by shite. Back then our midfield was shite, that is true, however he was by the standards of them days a marquee signing that was supposed to improve it. The team always looked better when he was not in it. I've seen some past players get dogs abuse on here, Pollock theres an example, for me he was 10x if not more better than Ged Awful. Sorry if he reads this (which he never will, granted) but as I said in my first post for some reason this tool was just woeful. For me the WORST of all the shite we ever signed back then.

Worst players I've seen for City:

Paul Beesley
Jason Van Blerk
Ged Brannan
Lee Bradbury
Craig Russell
Lee Peacock

Kit Symons wasn't that great either tbh. He only got regular football with us as he was left sided. Took the captain's armband towards the end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.