Genealogists And inheritance

I'm Blue

The end of last week my wife had a phone call asking for me.
The guy said he was a Genealogists and had traced me as I was a relative of Mr xxxxxxx, the relative who I'd never heard of, neither has my mum.
Apparently he was a relative of my nan, on my dads side, though him and my nan were never in contact with each other or aware of each other (according to the Genealogists).
The relative died in 1987, my nan died in 2004 and I was the soul beneficiarie of her estate.
The Genealogists traced back to my nan, then from that onto me.
The inheritance is not a massive amount according to the Genealogists, but won't say how much it is.
Now the first thing I thought was scam! But reading online this seems quite normal, but I'm obviously still abit sceptical.
He says he doesn't require any money from me, all he requires is me signing a form to confirm who I am so they can claim the inheritance on my behalf.
Reading online also says these companies can charge upto 40% of the inheritance, which sounds like robbery to me, some people are claiming it for themselves, cutting out the Genealogists.

Anybody had any dealings with Genealogists in this type of matter?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In your position I'd be far more worried about inheritance issues if your wife was getting strange phone calls from the Gynaecologist.

The end of last week my wife had a phone call asking for me.
The guy said he was a Genealogists and had traced me as I was a relative of Mr xxxxxxx, the relative who I'd never heard of, neither has my mum.
Apparently he was a relative of my nan, on my dads side, though him and my nan were never in contact with each other or aware of each other (according to the Genealogists).
The relative died in 1987, my nan died in 2004 and I was the soul beneficiarie of her estate.
The Genealogists traced back to my nan, then from that onto me.
The inheritance is not a massive amount according to the Genealogists, but won't say how much it is.
Now the first thing I thought was scam! But reading online this seems quite normal, but I'm obviously still abit sceptical.
He says he doesn't require any money from me, all he requires is me signing a form to confirm who I am so they can claim the inheritance on my behalf.
Reading online also says these companies can charge upto 40% of the inheritance, which sounds like robbery to me, some people are claiming it for themselves, cutting out the Genealogists.

Anybody had any dealings with Genealogists in this type of matter?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

worth a visit to your brief here,go and tell him everything and ask him to make contact on your behalf,,it will cost but will be worth it

Long as I get a cheque at the end : )

Haha fair play.

Besides noting my amusement at your comment i have nothing constructive to add as i have never had this happen to me.
I do know a person who got a check, no idea what the gene detective agency or whatever they are charged though.
Certainly do research to see if you can pursue it though first ofc. No wonder they don't want to say a number because the vast chunk i suspect is going to them.

I recall a show on the BBC called Heir Hunters from a few years ago. Saw it a few times while visiting an elderly Aunt.

Followed several of these companies. They certainly did their digging to find people. Seemed to be a race though to get to the heir and have em sign. Obviously to get their cut before the "estate" went to the Treasury.

I'd look into the company he works for, if poss.

If I were you I would find out the relatives name and claim the dosh yourself.
Thanks for all the replies.
I've spoken to the guy this afternoon.
Firstly they've given me the name of the relative? I'm surprised by this because reading online they only give you this when you've signed the documents.
They've also told me the size of the estate is roughly between £5-6k, there are 5 or 6 other relatives who might have a claim.
So I will get "a couple of hundred quid". Now that's 70-80% ish, that's a lot?
Also it will take about a year.
I've tried searching online about the company, which all seams above board, lots of people saying they've signed the forms, but still haven't received the money. Which having been told it could take a year is hardly surprising.
It's their percentage which is sticking in my throat abit, I've read they can charge roughly between 20-30% plus vat, which is still alot, but the figures they've told me are much more. Thieving fu.....
Waiting for the forms to turn up, so Hopefully I'll have a better idea on figures etc..
Might have to look into trying to claim it myself, just hoped someone on here might have gone through this process.
Thanks.

Gullible or what!!!

All wills are a matter of public record.
If you know who it is just find what the will says.
Then contact the executors.
They have a legal responsibility to get the inheritance to you.

Happened to Mrs Hoghead - as per your post a 7.20pm today but the estate was worth about £10k and 12 beneficiaries. Very difficult to do yourself as there is probably no will and therefore split between next of kin so lawyers get involved. If you weren't expecting it, then treat it as a gift and sign up. Timescale of 12 months seems about right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.