General Wrestling Thread

Re: Royal Rumble On Tonight

One of my favourite stories was when Hogan wanted to break in. He went to learn at a school ran by Hiro Matsuda, one of those old time veterans who was super stiff with everybody.

On his first day at the school, Matsuda immediately broke the young Hogan's leg and told him that he'd see him again when it had healed if he was still up for it. To his credit, Hogan went back a year later.

A lot of people disrespect Hogan because he wasn't a very good wrestler but to work for as long as he has in a physically demanding business like wrestling and still make money/maintain a popularity requires a real love of what you're doing.

Anyone that has ever had the pleasure of taking a bump in a wrestling ring wouldn't call it fake, that's for sure!

Yes it is scripted (to a certain degree) but, it still hurts, it's entertainment but still very physical.

Damocles said:
One of my favourite stories was when Hogan wanted to break in. He went to learn at a school ran by Hiro Matsuda, one of those old time veterans who was super stiff with everybody.

On his first day at the school, Matsuda immediately broke the young Hogan's leg and told him that he'd see him again when it had healed if he was still up for it. To his credit, Hogan went back a year later.

A lot of people disrespect Hogan because he wasn't a very good wrestler but to work for as long as he has in a physically demanding business like wrestling and still make money/maintain a popularity requires a real love of what you're doing.

The good thing about the WWE Network is it encourages them to bring the old guard back, they almost have to raise their game when they do so like Raw 1000 and stuff like that.

I judge it as i saw it Damo, never been arsed with the politics.

I remember the Virgil/MDMTD story and was happy as fuck when he knocked fuck out of Ted.
He was great at winding us up.

Some of the best to wind the crowd up were imo "Ravishing Rick Rude" (R.I.P) and Rick "The Model" Martel.

Damocles said:
mcmanus said:
Trying hard here not to take the piss Dam or seem to being a cockscuker but you are like the cleverest poster and you like WWE?

Yes. WWE is entertaining, athletic and pretty psychological.

It's one of those things that you have to know a bit about to appreciate as an artform. Essentially the wrestlers inside the ring attempt to control the emotion of a massive crowd by getting them to suspend their disbelief and get enthralled in a battle. They then use classic storytelling to keep them going until the crescendo at the end.

Done well, and it's extremely rare nowadays in WWE to be honest, there's very few forms of narrative that illicit that edge of your seat excitement like wrestling can.

Think of it as a live action movie but the director is personally pacing the film to suit the reactions from the audience. That's a decent description.

Geek.

Kidding pal, each to their own. Who were the two daft brothers who kinda dressed in camouflage gear? One once walked in and got thrown out in a second. Funny as ......

Damocles said:
Goldust/Cody Rhodes vs. The New Age Outlaws (Free Preshow, Tag Title Match)
Big Show vs. Brock Lesnar
Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt
Randy Orton vs. John Cena ("One Fall to a Finish" -- i.e. no DQ, no CO -- for the WWE Title)
30 Man Royal Rumble

Outlaws
Lesnar
Wyatt
Orton
Bryan

Lesnar's the only one worth watching on the matches outside the Rumble expect Big Slow's there too so

For the above reason's..

[bigimg]http://www.shaunareid.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/bannatyne.gif[/bigimg]

Damocles said:

Thats just it Hogan was a big time player and still is. He had his selling point Hulkamanics in WWE and sold huge numbers then in WCW done the same with Hollywood Hogan he was printing money big time during his days in the ring. Limited wrestler but thats the thing the better wrestlers never got a push. Mr Perfect why he didnt get a good push I will never understand. He was brilliant.

Is this on Sky by the way or is it PPV might watch it somehow.

leighton said:
Damocles said:

Thats just it Hogan was a big time player and still is. He had his selling point Hulkamanics in WWE and sold huge numbers then in WCW done the same with Hollywood Hogan he was printing money big time during his days in the ring. Limited wrestler but thats the thing the better wrestlers never got a push. Mr Perfect why he didnt get a good push I will never understand. He was brilliant.

Is this on Sky by the way or is it PPV might watch it somehow.

PPV but there will places to watch it no doubt.

Can't wait for the network as it will actually work out cheaper to get that, watch all the content and then get the PPV on top every month.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.