George Smith

old blue

There was programme on the T.V earlier this week, it was one of those antiques shows. My ears pricked up when they were talking about a clutch of medals belonging to an old City player that were being sold. The voiceover was extolling the skills of the player and said that he had once scored 4 against our neighbours. He then said there was a league medal amongst them. Eventually they finally mentioned the players name was George Smith.
I have had a quick look through the history section and George was pretty prolific with a goal every other game. He was only here for about five years finishing in '52. Looking through his stats I could not find him scoring 4 against them. Not very good research
I did not see all the programme and do not know if the medals found a good home and a decent price. Does anybody have further info?

There was programme on the T.V earlier this week, it was one of those antiques shows. My ears pricked up when they were talking about a clutch of medals belonging to an old City player that were being sold. The voiceover was extolling the skills of the player and said that he had once scored 4 against our neighbours. He then said there was a league medal amongst them. Eventually they finally mentioned the players name was George Smith.
I have had a quick look through the history section and George was pretty prolific with a goal every other game. He was only here for about five years finishing in '52. Looking through his stats I could not find him scoring 4 against them. Not very good research
I did not see all the programme and do not know if the medals found a good home and a decent price. Does anybody have further info?
Googled it and various obituaries have him down as scoring four against the scum in 1946, when they shared Maine Rd. with us.

From the mcfcstats site, it was a wartime league match, 6th April 1946, it was officially the away game though both were played at Maine Road - City won 4-1. Regular League football didn't resume until the 46/47 season. The following week we played the return (home) game and lost 3-1, Smith scoring again.

http://www.mcfcstats.co.uk/

Thanks Lancs Blue and Petrusha , I wish I had taken a bit more notice of the programme but I have a strong aversion to luvvies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.