Gerry Marsden

Can anyone explain the history of you'll never walk alone and how, when pretty much every team used to sing it, it somehow became adopted as a LiVARpool anthem (and Celtic) and other teams teams ceased to sing it

Can anyone explain the history of you'll never walk alone and how, when pretty much every team used to sing it, it somehow became adopted as a LiVARpool anthem (and Celtic) and other teams teams ceased to sing it
I think City were singing it after the Dennis Law backheel.
It's a mawkish dirge imo, very suitable for the candle wavers.

Well the song being sung by a bunch of Scousers clearly had it marked down for being 'a dirty Scouse song' in the early 80's when hostilities between Manchester and Liverpool was at a peak.
I recall myself singing it late 70's /early 80's - though the more uptempo version (walk on - clap clap - with hope - clap clap - etc) but then around 82 it began to get drowned out by "hello hello, dirty Scouse song, dirty Scouse song..." and then just dropped all together and seemingly not just by City but by all other English club fans too.

Well the song being sung by a bunch of Scousers clearly had it marked down for being 'a dirty Scouse song' in the early 80's when hostilities between Manchester and Liverpool was at a peak.
I recall myself singing it late 70's /early 80's - though the more uptempo version (walk on - clap clap - with hope - clap clap - etc) but then around 82 it began to get drowned out by "hello hello, dirty Scouse song, dirty Scouse song..." and then just dropped all together and seemingly not just by City but by all other English club fans too.
yeah...."dirty scouse song allo allo"

We appear to be singing it (Walk on) full blast in 1985 V Charlton in the 5 - 1

It's all a long time ago. I so wish I could go back.

Last edited:
Yes, you may be right, if I could be arsed I'd check ;)
'Love me Do' was their first hit, (it's also my favourite song of theirs) and
that got to, again not sure, No. 14.
3 on the trot is some achievement though.
Talk Sport had a Scouser on and he said the song was never sung at Anfield until a week before the 1965 FA Cup final, Bill Shankley went on Desert Island Discs and named that song and it took off from there and spread throughout stadiums. ,

He also said Frankie Goes to Hollywood were the 2nd band to have 3 number 1' s from their first release onwards.

Talk Sport had a Scouser on and he said the song was never sung at Anfield until a week before the 1965 FA Cup final, Bill Shankley went on Desert Island Discs and named that song and it took off from there and spread throughout stadiums. ,

He also said Frankie Goes to Hollywood were the 2nd band to have 3 number 1' s from their first release onwards.
Ah, right, Frankie goes to Hollywood, yes, they did, all 3 went to number 1.
Funny really, because I couldn't stand Gerry and the Pacemakers, or the Frankies, lol.

It was a liverpool chant after the 65 cup final but in the 60s and 70s most teams fans sang it too, but with more televised matches and them being dominant in the 80s, it was heard more as they were on telly more and press, pundits and others suddenly associated it with them, they obviously then used that commercially and then the myth was born and other fans decided fuck that not singing that scouse shite and it died out on other teams terraces

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.