Getting A Mortgage - first time buyer

Me and my fiancee are going getting our mortgage as of tomorrow.

Im sure everything will be explained to us in depth, but can anyone recommend what to listen out for? what not to sign up to? etc

Could be quite overwhelming.

Cheers

Do you know that mortgage means death hold?

Not a 1st time buyer but will be looking to sell my house and buy a bigger one next year.
However, we both have debts which are reducing but at the minute are 20k+ - but we can afford to pay the monthly costs + the increase in mortgate as a big debt will be paid by then.
Are we still likely to be able to get a mortgate? Will probably be looking at 85% mortgate.
I know they have tightened up on lending since the lend everyone as much as they want culture from a few years back.

That's the best plan IMO. I bought my house in February and did something similar. Me and my missus had been renting together before that so had a lot of stuff already, but we've spent a bomb doing everything up and putting our own stamp on it.

You're better off opting for a longer term and overpaying anyway. If you imagine that you'd pay an extra £100 a month on a 25 year mortgage, that will only pay off an extra £50 or so of your mortgage, the rest will be interest. If you overpay £100 per month you're not being charged any interest on that so the money goes further for you!
I made an excel spreadsheet for overpayment. You put your interest rate in then keep changing the monthly payments on there to whatever you want to pay per month, and you can see how many years you are knocking off. Also shows how much capital and interest your paying each year. If anyone wants it then let me know...not sure if I can upload it to the forum??

Last edited by a moderator:
I made an excel spreadsheet for overpayment. You put your interest rate in then keep changing the monthly payments on there to whatever you want to pay per month, and you can see how many years you are knocking off. Also shows how much capital and interest your paying each year. If anyone wants it then let me know...not sure if I can upload it to the forum??

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
You can upload to a file sharing site and post a link on the forum.

Could anyone suggest whether NONE means anything after a price of a place? i.e. £125,000 NONE. Seen it against a flat I fancy viewing. No Offers Something Something.

Had a new thing round out way. Someone had posted a card through the letter box saying they are looking for a house round in this area, and have £200k+ to spend! 3 and 4 bedroom houses sell quite quickly on our street, and this is where they're looking at buying. New one on me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.