Getting a Website Designed and Built

Stuuuuuu

...for a reasonable price? Just been quoted £5k+ which was a bit of a shock and several times above what I was thinking. Can anyone advise? I'll paste below what I sent to the designers.

I've been developing a digital product (i.e. pdf files) which I plan on selling to schools.

What I'm looking for:
* a great and professional-looking website where schools can pay electronically (not just through PayPal but by credit and debit card / bank transfer too) and immediately receive an e-mail containing the product(s) of their choosing as an attachment.
* If possible, I'd like the pdf files to have a small automatic watermark/modification to say something like 'Licensed for use by [school name] only. Unlicensed use prohibited.' before being automatically sent to them as an e-mail attachment.
* A design that looks quite formal - like an authority such as a government department or similar.
* A design that loads quickly and works well on all types of devices including tablets and smartphones and all browsers.
* Needs to be Mac-friendly at my end.
* Various e-mail addresses set up to work with the domain name and the ability to set up more when I need them.
* An automatic follow-up / confirmation e-mail sent to anyone who purchases the product(s).
* Collection of data as entered into a form on the site by a school and the automatic storage of this in a database which I can access at any time.
* Depending on how things go, I may want to expand the number of pages and downloadable content significantly over a number of months.
* Optimisation for Google / Bing rankings.
* Automatic storage of the details of all the people who buy the product (based on what they enter in the online form).
* I have a large database of e-mail addresses (somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000). I would like a marketing e-mail to be sent to all of them (with an attachment), followed up by a second (different) marketing e-mail sent to those who didn't purchase the product the first time round. Can this be done in a way that the e-mail isn't flagged as spam? I need to be sure that the e-mails will actually make it to all of the intended recipients.
* Can the name of the recipient be included in the e-mail subject? I.e. ‘John Smith, Product X Now Available’ I have the names of the intended recipients in the .csv file along with their e-mail addresses.
* Contact page with FAQs at the top. These should each be clickable to reveal the answer.

A few questions:
* About hosting of the files: how would it work in terms of storing the files and them being available to be automatically e-mailed to purchasers at any time (potentially to numerous people all at once)? The files won't be particularly large.

Hold the files in a ramdisk setup with them backed up on ssd then further down on mechanical.

To build a site like that from scratch is not cheap at all, a lot of it is redundancy, the coder will have to allow for the many many user mistakes that will be made for a start. The scripting would be copious, 5k i would say is a fair price for that tbh.

Yes you can have their names parsed into the emails via more scripting.

You will also be wanting a dedicated server based around your needs it sounds like due to the possible numbers visiting your site. A cloud hosted site personally for stuff with user details i do not trust, the hypervisor could just go apeshit and fuck you over for example. I would suggest debian on a ramdisk setup with a minimum of 32GB ram for such a site.

For the data storage, again more scripting to call x document with y as the input. that is not to hard, all the backend stuff combined though would take a while. Watermark licensing is also not cheap as far as i know for well maintained trusted vendors.

How many hours in total and at what hourly rate have they quoted you? I would be very wary of an outfit that puts a "+" on the quote!

Some of what you have spec'd is pretty simple - have you thought of trying a local tech college - they might be willing to run it as a project for their students to get you off the ground with the basics?

Bums. This is all sounding a lot more complicated and expensive than I'd envisaged. Can anyone recommend any possible ways of cutting back on cost?

If I went for the super basic option, my needs would be:
* A simple website with just a few pages with a shop where people can download some .pdf files (about 4 product options available). They need a variety of payment options including PayPal, bank transfer, various bank cards and a form to print off and send with a cheque.
* Some associated e-mail accounts. If necessary, I can sit for hours and hours and hours sending individual e-mails to 20,000+ accounts, but could do with some advice on how I can do this without it being flagged as spam/junk (I should mention that these are genuinely useful products that I think will be of real interest to the recipients).
* Some way of automatically recording the details of customers in a database when they purchase the products.
* All the other stuff is more desirable than essential, so I can live without it.

Any advice gratefully received.

Digital isn't cheap mate. I hate it when people expect it cheap as it's 'just a few clicks'. Not saying you're one of those people, but there's many out there!

No different to wanting a top of the range kitchen installed, etc.

For emails, i would advise a timer so google does not clock stats that trigger it to send emails from you to spam. I do not know what their limits are before it triggers a spam tag though. For payment and site, use something like sagepay as a payment processor and a stock template site like wix/jumla etc. This will save you a lot as making the back end guts is a large chuck of the cost simply due to time taken to code it.

I use Wix.com, they offer pretty much offer most of features you've outlined and if not, would help create them. Premium with unlimited space costs me just over £100 a year.

I appreciate margins in business can be tight, but what the op wants this system to do would have taken an office full of admin and sales staff a few years ago. I think 5k is a steal compared to staffing and equipping an office.

I'm a web developer. My portfolio include government websites and eCommerce sites. What you are asking is basic considering you only have 1 to maybe 5 products to sell.

although I have been put off Wix because of the City website, nico1 might be right to try it out. I would rather, seeing that your project scope is very basic, use Wordpress with merchant transaction embedded like Verisign and PayPal. This would set you around £200 per year. Get a domain name, get a hosting, install Wordpress, buy a premium template if you like to be less generic, then just learn how to Wordpress and a bit of SQL for the database. Most hosts have very friendly SQL platforms.

Most websites I see selling 1-10 products are 90% Wordpress nowadays. If you're selling more and have an inventory something like Magento will be better. For eCommerce sites I use Magento. I've not handled a bigger franchise though like H&M or Argos, so my understanding of very big catalogue retail is very limited.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.