Ghosts

A former partner used to be a cook at Atherleigh hospital and, as she was on earlies to do the breakfast and subsequently the first one in, I accompanied her down to the kitchens. Access meant going down quite a long corridor at 5am and, as we turned the corridor fluorescent lights on, we clearly saw a women in a dark grey Victorian 'matron style' dress walk across (not along) the corridor.

For a split second she seemed to hesitate, as if she'd seen us, before walking straight through the wall. The interesting thing is, despite knowing that we had seen a ghost, her action of hesitating and looking back at us made us not feel it was so much a 'haunting' but that somehow we had seen a few seconds back in time and that she, quite possibly, for those same seconds in her own time saw us too, as something clearly caught here eye.

We looked into the history of Atherleigh and found that it had, at one point in it's life been a workhouse and that there had in fact been an additional corridor that originally crossed the one we were on but had been knocked down and the crossing bricked up.

The following photo (not mine as our incident took place in the very early eighties before camera phones) other than our sighting going from left to right, ours appearing to be at the very end of the corridor and the corridor itself being much darker/dreary than the one in the picture is very similar to what we experienced.

GhostHospitalMain.jpg

Still fascinates me to this day!
It's an interesting talking point. What always surprises me is why we think that certain buildings should be more connected to ghosts than others. Workhouses, poorhouses, cemeteries, old buildings, etc. etc. In some of the most uneventful and salubrious places heinous crimes, misdemeanors and cruelties have taken place, however the ghosts vary rarely seem to want to show up at these places. Perhaps there's a specific 'time and place' card that you're issued upon death after an unhappy life, just so you can scare the shit out of a few people you don't even know?

https://postimage.org/[/url

Pretty sure my arse was haunted this morning, ate 5 x 2 inch thick ribeye's because everyone else was a wanker and thought a blue steak would kill them.

Pretty sure my arse was haunted this morning, ate 5 x 2 inch thick ribeye's because everyone else was a wanker and thought a blue steak would kill them.

What is dead cannot be killed, you soulless ginger night crawler.

I don't believe in ghosts of dead people as such but I had weird incident once. Was working on an empty farmhouse overlooking hollingworth lake, place was remote and up on a hillside no-one around apart from me and a workmate.

Sat in the front garden eating our dinner when an old woman walked past us outside, she walked into an old adjoining derelict stable building with only one entrance, straight away we thought it was strange and wondered what she was up to.

After 5 min she hadn't come out so we went and looked and she'd gone.. no other way out at all and she would have had to walk past us again. This really happened in broad daylight 2 of us saw it and 20 yrs later I still have no explanation. Easy to dismiss stuff as nonsense unless you experience summat like that.

Once read a theory that they could be naturally occurring phenomenon in the atmosphere caused by a pocket or spike in electromagnetic waves which, when entered into, interact with our brain waves and functions and make us susceptible to auditory and visual hallucinations and a change in the autonomous system in our bodies. Those who have their own beliefs about ghosts and a concept would be more likely to notice or see specific images, such as mourning and seeing a deceased relative. Some occurrences may pass with slight changes to bodily state ie shivers or catching the eye.

If not wholely accurate, interesting none less.

I don't believe in ghosts but would like to share an experience.

I was on a working trip to Penang, Malaysia and stayed in one of the island's old hotels. The hotel still uses a pulley lift system so it's considerably old. The hotel and its compound however is big. I assume as big as the Etihad if not bigger. I had to walk 5 minutes down the corridor of one wing to my room. Being a big establishment and the price, there weren't that many tenants probably 3-5 rooms the most.

One night I was calling it a day and was sat in bed doing paper work, Lights were on so the room was bright. Then a man in a very clean sailor suit and sailor hat walked passed by nonchalantly at the end of my bed from right to left. It wasn't even from the corner of my eye, it was in plain sight. His head was turned to me but he just walked by. It wasn't a scary sight at all if anything it felt surreal because it was the last thing I would expect to happen. He faded out of sight.

Wasn't drinking wasn't on drugs or anything to trigger a hallucination and hav no history of one. Found out a few days later online out of curiosity that the island had its fair share of two world wars. I since researched on rational explanations being a sceptic that I am an until now I contribute it to the possibility of the old walls projecting a recorded image. I remembered reading that the same minerals used in VHS tape ribbons to record images, can be found on old walls. So that will do for me.

My boss who stayed in a much bigger suite on the same night woke up to his clothes being moved places. I've been to many old hotels but Never had such an experience. Surely there is a scientific explanation to it.

Editing this post to add that writing this has reminded me to search the Internet and found that several reviews of the hotel have actually mentioned hauntings and spectral entities, some guests actually checked out soon after. Turns out it's not an isolated case after all.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.