Gibralter

aka blue jambo

anyone here been?
thinking about taking m dad as he was stationed here in the war and he mentioned he would love to go back someday
not many direct flights
tips on travel hotels etc appreciated

ta

Went to Malaga a few years back and went for a day. All you'll need is a day or two there so I'd say stay somewhere near to it.

Watch out for those monkeys!

Been quite a few times.
Easyjet fly direct from Manchester but not every day.
I've previously stayed at the Rock Hotel.
Gibraltar's more British than anywhere in the UK.
It's not for everyone but we like it. Lots of interesting historical things to see.
One unique thing is that it's walking distance from getting off the plane to anywhere in the main town.
Alcohol is dirt cheap in the shops particularly spirits.

Went years ago and shut down the airport with my stupidity. Also La Linear was the roughest town in Spain at the time. They do a good reggae festival there nowadays.

In-laws have a place in estepona, when staying there often go to Gibraltar for a day, park in La Linear and walk through customs, if you drive in parking is a pain and it takes ages to get out through customs.

There's a bit of duty free shopping and some nice bars/pubs. Touristy stuff is the Rock, (watch the monkeys - thieving little buggers) and the tunnels and caves, really interesting if your into the history of how it was used in the war. Also boat trips, for fishing and dolphin watching.

If you plan to stay in Gibraltar, direct flights are everyday from Gatwick (BA) or selective days via easy jet from Manchester, Bristol or Birmingham.

A day is probably enough unless your dad has a long list of things to do.

It's got harder recently to get through customs since the Spanish have decided they'd like it. Walking through is a great idea. Also, try & go before we are hauled out of Europe -they will probably shut the border then. It is only small. Well worth a visit though.

Spent six weeks there a few years ago and six weeks to long. Like someone said, park in La Linea and walk across. If flying in it was the scariest landing I have ever experienced if you are coming in from the bay side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.