Ginger Baker RIP

My error there mate,must learn to spell properly.It's very subjective aint it.I like drummers who are precise and accurate not flabbing around the kit.Where do you think Mitch Mitchell stands? I thought he was the perfect foil for Jimi,could never see Baker and Jimi working out.

Can't say Baker features high on my list of favourite drummers but I do think he had as much technical ability as anyone; not that I'm a musician; although my best friend is a drummer and many years back in my student days I used to roadie for his band. They were doing a gig supporting Daimond Head in Cromer, IIRC, and I was banging the drums just to check the mics when someone in the audience pipes up in a Norfolk accent: "I can't play drums either"; much to the amusement of the band and other roadies. Mind you, he was right: I can't play the drums.

Mitch Mitchell doesn't tend to get mentioned too much but I've always thought he was very good. As you say, worked really well with Hendrix.

FWIW, my favourite drummers are Bonham, Peart and Moon.

Can't say Baker features high on my list of favourite drummers but I do think he had as much technical ability as anyone; not that I'm a musician; although my best friend is a drummer and many years back in my student days I used to roadie for his band. They were doing a gig supporting Daimond Head in Cromer, IIRC, and I was banging the drums just to check the mics when someone in the audience pipes up in a Norfolk accent: "I can't play drums either"; much to the amusement of the band and other roadies. Mind you, he was right: I can't play the drums.

Mitch Mitchell doesn't tend to get mentioned too much but I've always thought he was very good. As you say, worked really well with Hendrix.

FWIW, my favourite drummers are Bonham, Peart and Moon.
I admire your favourites as well,and would add Jim Keltner,unique style and did a great deal to bring Ry Cooder's music to life.
Your little story will be recounted to my band-mates if that's ok,made me laugh.

Reactions: OB1
I admire your favourites as well,and would add Jim Keltner,unique style and did a great deal to bring Ry Cooder's music to life.
Your little story will be recounted to my band-mates if that's ok,made me laugh.

It’s in the public domain now:)

Keltner has obviously worked with loads of people. Hadn’t given it much thought but rhythm is very important to much of Cooder’s work and there’s a great feel to a lot of the drumming on his tracks.

Just seen last night's BBC 4 documentary, BEWARE MR BAKER. (from 5 years ago).
Crikey, that was a heavy watch. No doubting his obvious talent, but a bell end of a person. He'd get on the Archbishop of Canterbury's tits.

Went to the Ginger Baker tribute concert at Hammersmith Apollo last night featuring Eric Clapton and Friends. What a joyful event and a quite exceptional concert.

Mr Clapton was the star of the show although Nile Rodgers had a good go at stealing the show and Ginger's son Kofi did a fine job with the drum solo in Toad. Ironically, given earlier conversations on this thread, Steve Gadd was part of Eric's band for the night (they have toured together in the past). For the encore they had four drum kits being played in unison and Roger Waters playing a cowbell!

The set list (below) was the kind of thing you only see get to see once (basically the best of Cream and Blind Faith):

01. Sunshine of Your Love - with Roger Waters
02. Strange Brew - with Roger Waters
03. White Room - with Ronnie Wood, Kenney Jones and Roger Waters
04. I Feel Free - with Nile Rodgers and Willie Weeks / Paul Carrack (vocal)
05. Tales Of Brave Ulysses - with Nile Rodgers and Willie Weeks
06. Sweet Wine - with Will Johns / Paul Carrack (vocal)
07. Blue Condition
08. Badge - with Ronnie Wood and Henry Spinetti
09. Pressed Rat - with Kofi Baker
10. Had To Cry Today - with Steve Winwood, Kofi Baker and Nile Rodgers
11. Presence Of The Lord - with Steve Winwood, Kofi Baker and Nile Rodgers
12. Well Alright - with Steve Winwood, Kofi Baker and Nile Rodgers
13. Can't Find My Way Home - with Steve Winwood, Kofi Baker and Nile Rodgers
14. Do What You Like / Toad - with Steve Winwood, Kofi Baker and Nile Rodgers
15. Crossroads (encore) - All

Band Line Up:
Eric Clapton - guitar / vocals
Paul Carrack - organ / keyboards / vocals
Chris Stainton - keyboards
Sonny Emory - drums
Steve Gadd - drums
Willie Weeks - bass
Katie Kissoon - vocals
Sharon White - vocals

Special Guests:
Steve Winwood - organ / vocals
Roger Waters - bass
Nile Rodgers - guitar
Ronnie Wood - guitar
Kofi Baker - drums
Kenney Jones - drums
Henry Spinetti - drums
Will Johns - guitar

Details courtesy of Where's Eric website.

I loved Cream, grew up listening to Disreali Gears.
Ginger was a very identifiable drummer with his double Bass drums.
I thought Cream were Clapton's high point, after that I wasn't such a fan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.