Girlbands

Ancient Citizen

Whilst I think it is beyond question that these shores have produced the best male Rock bands, the best of the female performers, for me are the Yanks. Think The Supremes, Bangles, Martha and the Vandelas, Heart, etc; etc;
We do, and did, have great solo girls, Dusty Springfield, Kate Bush and many others, but the groups of great timeless girlbands are not there for me.
Or have I missed some out?

What about the Spice Girls and Girls Aloud. Then Atomic Kitten and Amazulu.........

I think one of the ''problems'' with the female artists I've mentioned and most of the one's you have, is they tend to have their music written for them (and by blokes, of course) which means they tend not to get taken seriously. Obviously great talent like The Supremes etc will always shine through over 2 album / low shelf life wonders such as the Spice Girls

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
What about the Spice Girls and Girls Aloud. Then Atomic Kitten and Amazulu.........

I think one of the ''problems'' with the female artists I've mentioned and most of the one's you have, is they tend to have their music written for them (and by blokes, of course) which means they tend not to get taken seriously. Obviously great talent like The Supremes etc will always shine through over 2 album / low shelf life wonders such as the Spice Girls

Bananarama anyone ?

As mentioned previously, Atomic Kitten. Anyone remember 'The Slits' ?

We've had a few. That said, so have the Yanks and including a few you haven't mentioned. Then again, they do outnumber us 6 to 1.

This was posted on here a few months back in another thread; one of the best covers of a true rock classic, with the Wilson sisters to the fore;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-9W-wGgNX4[/youtube]

Enjoy!

Mad Eyed Screamer said:

They were fucking awful. Lead singer became a smackhead iirc. She actually had the nerve to slag off ELO in one interview.
Speaking of ELO, there was a great programme about Jeff Lynne on BBC4 last night, followed by a documentary of Brum bands of the 70s and then the great man himself with Richard Tandy doing an acoustic set of classic ELO tunes.

stony said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

They were fucking awful. Lead singer became a smackhead iirc. She actually had the nerve to slag off ELO in one interview.
Speaking of ELO, there was a great programme about Jeff Lynne on BBC4 last night, followed by a documentary of Brum bands of the 70s and then the great man himself with Richard Tandy doing an acoustic set of classic ELO tunes.

I watched that this afternoon, excellent viewing :)

I have no recollection of the Travelling Wilberries, this was the first i've heard of them properly I think, but what a collection of rock greats! You do learn something new every day.<br /><br />-- Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:27 pm --<br /><br />Girlschool - now that's a rock band :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.