Giro 102

chesterbells

Good to get into this yesterday. Roglic looks unbeatable, not just on the fact he won the first stage prologue yesterday, but because of his exemplary form since the start of the year. Tom Dumoulin had been playing down his form but still had a decent finish.
It was good to see a short time trial stage with a steep finish like that; I think the next one in San Marino, and the last one, have similar profiles.
Simon Yates was brilliant to grab second place yesterday, having waiting 2 hours after all the favourites had gone off. Yates also made waves with his pre-race comments, saying the other riders should be “shitting themselves” at the prospect of having to race against him! Tbf, he did win the last grand tour of 2018 in Spain, but it’s quite amusing to see him being so provocative ahead of a 3 week tour.
Another aspect is that this is the first grand tour for a while without Sky/Ineos having a genuine contender, so will be interesting to see who emerges from there team.

Having said all of the above, I think today’s stage is one that I won’t be watching live ;-)

Think Viviani was harshly dealt with today, the stage was a little dull (Vistas Apart) as aside I did the TT course from stage one yesterday on Zwift and the final 2k were very grim indeed

Think Viviani was harshly dealt with today, the stage was a little dull (Vistas Apart) as aside I did the TT course from stage one yesterday on Zwift and the final 2k were very grim indeed

Nice one. The camera never does these climbs justice does it. On a much more local scale I remember dying a hundred times going up Park Rash last year and then coming home to watch the Tour de Yorks highlights to see the riders sail up it no issue.
Yes, not too concerned about not being able to watch the whole of the stages this week - recording of the last half hour does me fine.
Today was an odd one, because I noticed the swerve definitely when watching it in real time, but wasn’t sure they’d DQ him. FWIW, my opinion would be that he had come far enough alongside Viviani so that he must have been aware of him there, even if only in peripheral vision, and sensed him too - so on that basis I’d say his swerve across was an instinctive reaction to protect his lead, but it was dangerous imho, and so I wouldn’t take issue with the outcome.
That S bend in the last km though!!

Well, I can see this thread has gone down a storm.
Nevertheless, it’s a tour I’ve enjoyed following, and the end is nigh. Big surprise is the seemingly invincible Roglic showing he is human after all. And Yates has a large slice of humble pie lined up for Sunday dinner after claiming pre-race that the rest of the field should be “shitting it” at the prospect of facing him.
Fair play to Carapaz, looks like the next big talent to emerge from South America, and I hear he could be in his way to Ineos next year.
Tomorrow’s mountains should be a good watch, and it’ll be interesting to see how much time Roglic can gain on the final TT. Today seems fairly sedate, but the uphill finish could lead to some time gaps.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.