Girona - Post match Thread

Of course it was only an exhibition match, and of course we should not read too much into it, etc etc etc.

But notwithstanding all the caveats, my god that was awful. The positives were that Bravo made 2 saves, arguably more than in any previous game for us; Mangala looked OK and we got to see Gundogan back.

But everything else varied from meh to downright shocking. Foden and Diaz looked woefully out of their depth. More worrying, Silva had a total mare, just dreadful.

Toure looked like man against boys, which I guess is because he is, and they are.

Agree 100% on Yaya - really pleased whenever I see him in the team, and I hope he features as much as possible this season, even if its only for part of the match. His tight control and passing ability is unsurpassed, certainly better than Dinho and Gundogan - and he's more robust and a lot less easy to knock off the ball than Ilkay.

Of course it was only an exhibition match, and of course we should not read too much into it, etc etc etc.

But notwithstanding all the caveats, my god that was awful. The positives were that Bravo made 2 saves, arguably more than in any previous game for us; Mangala looked OK and we got to see Gundogan back.

But everything else varied from meh to downright shocking. Foden and Diaz looked woefully out of their depth. More worrying, Silva had a total mare, just dreadful.

Toure looked like man against boys, which I guess is because he is, and they are.

If we lack intensity, which is to be expected then why would we look anything other than meh?

I turned it on for 5 minutes and saw what I expected to see, our players going through the motions so I turned it off.

We have been spoilt in our other pre-season games and been brought back to ground with both the performance against Brighton and yesterdays friendly.

It was just a friendly and a platform to test formations and lineups and get minutes in the legs of other players.

The main concern was how easy it was to stifle us. It was pass to yaya and back again and again and as soon as it went to anyone else the move fell apart. Sane is not a left wing back and is far more useful being used left of a front three.

I still do not like the 3-5-2 but it does seem to give us more balance. I just think we are losing out by not having one or both of Sane and Sterling on the pitch. Aguero and Jesus have great movement but it was qhite easy for Brighton to limit chances with Silva amd De Bruyne just faced with a wall of defenders.

Perhaps it is a plan of Pep to control and tire the opposition with Silva De Bruyne Aguero and Jesus before throwing Bernardo Sterling and Sane on for a bit more pace later on in the game.

One thing is for sure, we have plenty of options and Gundogans return is fantastic.

Pep still hasnt quite worked things out yet.

Training exercise or not. The game confirmed last year's shortcomings regardless of the number of opportunities created.......we can't score. There lies the problem.
Early goals will be vital this season, trying to tire a team out in the last 20 minutes of the game in effect shortens the odds of winning.

Last edited:
If we lack intensity, which is to be expected then why would we look anything other than meh?

I turned it on for 5 minutes and saw what I expected to see, our players going through the motions so I turned it off.

Foden and Silva for example were busting their guts, but just dreadful, which is why I don't simply dismiss it. It was not like they weren't trying.

We didn't lack intensity. We lacked quality. Desperately.

Agree 100% on Yaya - really pleased whenever I see him in the team, and I hope he features as much as possible this season, even if its only for part of the match. His tight control and passing ability is unsurpassed, certainly better than Dinho and Gundogan - and he's more robust and a lot less easy to knock off the ball than Ilkay.

Totally agree.

He has his limitations (tracking back, work rate) of course, but beyond those, he's been one of the PL's standout players for the past 7 years. In a fair and unbiased world, he'd be in with a shout for POTY most seasons. He is simply fantastic and probably irreplaceable.

Foden and Silva for example were busting their guts, but just dreadful, which is why I don't simply dismiss it. It was not like they weren't trying.

We didn't lack intensity. We lacked quality. Desperately.

It's akin to playing our under23s in a training game mate. Smh

The only disappointment for me was that Mendy didn't get some minutes in.

Yaya is a strength and a weakness! clearly he helps to control games and yes his passing and ball control is good but he does seriously slow the game down when we need to be moving the ball quicker. I expect we will see a lot less of him this season as Dinho and Gundo get most of the deep midfield opportunities

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.