Girona - Post match Thread

Only thing that game confirmed was that Maffeo shouldn't have been loaned out. Showed he was good enough last season showed he's good enough again today.
I disagree, I'd rather he played week in and week out in La Liga than every now and again in the odd cup game

1-0 Girona. Only caught the 2nd half but we looked disjointed and slow in the buildup. A lot like Pelegrini's 3rd season. But after all the acquisitions, this team has to play faster. I don't care who started or didn't. The play has to be quicker. Enough with slow cooker football. Move it forward quickly and the attackers have to take players on. Enough with the boring slow stuff.

I think the slow build up could have been at least partly due to us not preparing for the match as we would for a serious match Its a game that has been slotted in during the preparations for the Everton game. So the players will probably have had quite a tough training session (or two) yesterday, much more intense than they normally train on the day before a game.

Good run out. Minutes in the legs for some of the more fringe players. Gundy back. Competitive game.

I agree. It was only a friendly but some players trying to get up to speed and break into the first team were poor. Silva two didn't love a patch on Silva one. Stones never did what he is supposed to do that was bring the ball out and forward, he just stopped, turned and played it sideways. Still turned too easily in the box and our usual trick of players slipping at vital moments continues. A bit of a sobering game really.

it was a meaningless game. all that matters is monday night.

Have to say the ref was crap, let too many mistimed challenges from Girona go(our players eventually started giving it back) but I think a nice physical game like that will have done our players a lot of good(they will need to be ready for a battle in some games), no injuries either.

Let's give credit where it's due Girona looked good for where they've come from(surprisingly so), Maffeo especially I would say we should have kept him but I think a full season in La Liga with more game time than we could hope to give him might bring him on further in the long run.

Mangala looked very useful, Bravo looked a lot more confident, other than that though it wasn't a free flowing game with the tackles flying in and players loosing their footing on the pitch(lost count of how many times our players went to ground during an attack).

Last edited:
I agree. It was only a friendly but some players trying to get up to speed and break into the first team were poor. Silva two didn't love a patch on Silva one. Stones never did what he is supposed to do that was bring the ball out and forward, he just stopped, turned and played it sideways. Still turned too easily in the box and our usual trick of players slipping at vital moments continues. A bit of a sobering game really.
She was taking the piss mate.

Bernie has only been in training for 2 weeks so he is way behind everyone else,he showed enough in the 2nd half for me and he was great in the confeds cup,he really will be worthy of taking over from dave when he leaves

Oh by the way, they had a player called Luis and another called Maffeo, both were better than anyone we had on the field. We should probably look into getting those 2 guys in. They can clearly do a job.

Also, write this down, City would bid for Muniesa in January or next summer. You can take that to the bank.

Only thing that game confirmed was that Maffeo shouldn't have been loaned out. Showed he was good enough last season showed he's good enough again today.
Confirmed it was a great decision. Another year and playing in a top league and we will have one hell of a player on our hands.

Also it's one game. Foden was MoTM against United but how many would have him start on Monday now he's played a few more?

Loaning players such as Maffeo is exactly why we have Girona. There's no downside.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.