Global IT outage

My other half works for a very famous household name multi multi billion dollar American tech company.

She’s said they’re having a catastrophic global outage and instead of giving their staff who can’t currently get anything done while they fix it the Friday off, they’ve got to sit there doing some bullshit pointless tedious online training courses haha.

Seems like a load of bullshit to me, should just let people clock off, it’s Friday ffs.

She’s not happy at all. Treating thousands of employees like kids with a supply teacher.
She's probably.on Blue Moon right now ;)

There's lots of code involving dates.

If you had a bit of code say looking back two days from the current date and the current date is now wrong because of a bug then the data being displayed is wrong or doesn't now exist.

So if the machine that decides what the time is for that particular server is saying 1900, 1970 etc instead of 2000 then a lot of things will break.
Agreed. Spent a lot of time trawling/re-writing code around this time. The concerns were legitimate.

What issues. I never understood why so much money was thrown at an issue. My simple thoughts were.
So a device that uses a date thinks its 1900. Do these devices decide that they were not invented in the early 19th c and think how can I work I don't exist?
As computers didn't exist in 1900 no conflicting dates exist in the system. Records.
Not 1 IT person has explained satisfactorily what was wrong with my logic.

How many IT people have you asked? Because it’s not hard to explain.

Lots of systems and software didn’t account for needing 4 digits to write a date. People built fucktons of software on the basis of only needing 2 numbers to describe the date. Without the additional two digits systems would interpret things as happening in the past that were actually representing dates in the future which would break things. All you need is code that contains a basic if function, “If, today’s date is < other date, reject input” and it would render a load of software unusable.

The computers aren’t inferring anything, they’re not sentient they’re just following badly written rules where the people coding didn’t think far enough ahead.

As others have said the reason people have some conspiracy about it all being bollocks is largely because people did a hell of a lot of work to fix the issue.

Wait til the end of epoch time is nearing in 2038. That sounds like fun too.
yeah, thats going to be a bigger issue than Y2K was, with the plethora of code written since 1999 dwarfing the amount up to then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.