Goal Line Technology

hgblue said:
gooney said:
But its hard to make decisions on the spot. alot of the decisions we are talking about is very close and you can show it two people and they will disagree. Specially penalty decision and offsides. I just think this is opening can of worms. I can see managers question every decision and argue with the fourth official to look at it

As I say the Fourth Official would be able to offer advice when required and to rectify obvious mistakes. He isn't there to referee the game. For example, the referee could have asked for his advice about whether the ball had crossed the line in the Chelsea v Spurs game. He would have been advised that it hadn't. End result? Bad decision reversed. In the Arsenal v United game the Fourth Official would have notified the referee that he had missed a handball. End result? Penalty correctly awarded to Arsenal and a Red Card for Vidic. I could go on because there were several more high profile mistakes in just those two games, but I don't want to labour the point. To my mind, Video Technology is one of those changes which will quickly become part of the game and people will ask 'why didn't we do this years ago?' Bit like the pass back rule, or the automatic Red Card when denying a goal scoring opportunity, or allowing substitutes, or changing the offside rule, etc, etc. Football evolves and is starting to look silly when other sports are embracing technology. It would have the added benefit of completely eradicating cheating and the suspicion that referees are favouring the bigger teams when making their decisions. I don't see a negative in this at all.

This would also have helped on the Rooney forearm smash, the ref could have asked the video ref to say what had gone on when he sees the player on the ground and Rooney running on.

bluemoondays said:
hgblue said:
As I say the Fourth Official would be able to offer advice when required and to rectify obvious mistakes. He isn't there to referee the game. For example, the referee could have asked for his advice about whether the ball had crossed the line in the Chelsea v Spurs game. He would have been advised that it hadn't. End result? Bad decision reversed. In the Arsenal v United game the Fourth Official would have notified the referee that he had missed a handball. End result? Penalty correctly awarded to Arsenal and a Red Card for Vidic. I could go on because there were several more high profile mistakes in just those two games, but I don't want to labour the point. To my mind, Video Technology is one of those changes which will quickly become part of the game and people will ask 'why didn't we do this years ago?' Bit like the pass back rule, or the automatic Red Card when denying a goal scoring opportunity, or allowing substitutes, or changing the offside rule, etc, etc. Football evolves and is starting to look silly when other sports are embracing technology. It would have the added benefit of completely eradicating cheating and the suspicion that referees are favouring the bigger teams when making their decisions. I don't see a negative in this at all.

This would also have helped on the Rooney forearm smash, the ref could have asked the video ref to say what had gone on when he sees the player on the ground and Rooney running on.

You could also ask yourself the question would players do stuff like that if they knew there was zero chance of getting away with it? What would be the point of trying to con the ref if you know that the Fourth official would tune him in even if you managed it? It would soon get through to even the dullest of all the pros that this sort of stuff is now counter productive, and would go a long way to cleaning up the game, as well as it's primary objective of ensuring no more embarassing clangers are dropped. It makes officials look stupid when they make high profile mistakes and they must be gutted when they watch games back, but by then it's too late.

There needs to be goal line technology.

Rugby have it and it works really, really well. It doesn't slow down the game.
And what I like about rugby as well is that we can hear exactly what the refs are saying.
Refs also are more involved with the players, to the fact that he pulls aside the captain and says if you don't stop doing x someone will get a card.
But that can't really happen in rugby as it is a lot more start stop.

Tennis has it, where players have a certain amount of times they can go and challenge a decision..this might be more suitable for football.

The GAA are testing goal line technology in Croke Park, now if any of you understand how old fashioned and fossil like they can be..it would say a lot if the GAA got video technology ahead of football.

Football is the biggest sport in the world, and they're still back refusing to enter this century.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.