Goalkeeper distribution

Great shot stopper but needs to improve in many areas to be complete and distribution is one of them.

stonie said:
Threw out an inch perfect pass to the half way line last night...

Throwing is generally more accurate than kicking from hand so why does Joe throw so rarely, especially as he can get some distance on his throws as he showed last night? I actually thought the pitch at the Maracana was on the narrow side which may explain why so many of his kicks went straight out of play but I do think it's an area of his game that he can improve.

Whitefield Blue said:
blueju said:
He waits a few seconds too long when he could have thrown the ball or rolled it out. He doesn't seem to have the confidence in his defenders to play it out even when they are in loads of space. With our players we can usually play it out even when it's tight at the back.

Just because the crowd are baying for him to throw the ball doesn't mean that the pass is 'on'. The majority of the time he's dead right in his decision making.

I'm not really basing my opinion on a 'baying crowd' seeing as i've not been in one since 2006. Compare Pants distribution ,he will throw the ball between two opposition players just to make sure it lands at a City players feet. Cech tries to throw most times as does the little scamp down the road in Trafford. It's all about awareness and willingness to keep possession.

Personally, I think it has gone backwards this season and started well before that. The best thing that happened to him was going to Birmingham as when he came back he was a much better distributor than he is now. Whoever is the goalkeeping coach needs to concentrate on this area much more. Reina, Schmeichel in his time and others are like having an extra player on the team, their distribution is/was so good. Probably because we have been very pedestrian in playing the ball along the back while the opposition has time to get into place has not helped either, but he needs to improve both his distribution and speed in decision making as far as distribution goes. I am hoping that in the coming season, we will be more on the front foot and that starts right at the back. With players like Navas on the wing...good, quick, accurate distribution is a must, and is also the difference between a great keeper and a world class keeper.

cibaman said:
mansour's tow ropes said:
Call me old fashioned, but its a big wide pitch so I have no idea why he feels the need to pinpoint the touchline to send the ball to. Just kick it down the middle!

The theory is that when the GK hoofs the ball the defenders, who are facing the ball, win the header about 75% of the time. If they win it in the middle of the pitch they have options, can find one of their players and start an attack.

If the ball is directed towards the touchline the defender often heads the ball into touch. If they keep the ball in play there's a limited area for our players to defend so we have an equal chance of picking up the header.

I believe its been statistically proven that City win or regain possession twice as often when Hart pinpoints the touchlines rather than the middle of the pitch. It just looks a bit crap when he sends the ball into row Z.

I see that but it just seems that I would rather their defenders win the ball and head it back into our midfield rather than they win cheap throws on the half way line

nothing much has changed in the last 3 years, against a lone striker we pass it out, a team that presses we use the left touch line or down the middle. Both hand possession away. A back-pass to the g.k. should involve a "give-and-go" mind-set,too often it seems like just giving away responsibilty. The team is unbalanced, all those who are comfortable on the ball keep getting it dropping out of the sky stood next to a giant, and those who treat the ball like a ticking bomb keep getting it on the floor. Boot it down the middle and it is back in our half with one header, at least a throw in makes it difficult for the other team, gives us a chance to organize. No doubt the new manager will have his own tactics (surely). Just hope it doesnt involve someone like Carroll

I thought Joe Hart had an excellent game for England last night , although some of his distribution was a little off key ..... to be fair to him some of it was excellent , especially his throws , but one or two of his kicks were far too close to the touchline for anyone to reach.

What bothers me more than his goal-kicking, is what happens when Joe catches a cross, or fields a shot.
He often then rushes forward asthough he is going to release it quickly for a counter-attack, only to then change his mind, look at another option, change his mind again, and perhaps even a third time ... and ultimately everyone for the opposition is back and in position - and the opportunity for a counter-attack is gone.

This happens a lot - not sure if Joe's fault or his team-mates ... but they don't seem quite on the same wavelength on this one.

I would say: very good shot-stopper, brilliant one-on-one, decent claimer of crosses, below average distribution.

During 2011-12 we used to have players on the half way line so when Hart had the ball he could smash it and we could counter attack.

This season everyone was in the box so when he catches the ball he comes out and as you say he looks to try and release it but no one is there because there all still stood in and around the box.

Hopefully Pellegrini will go back to sticking Aguero etc on the half way line and if Hart can improve his kicking we can use the pace to break.

Caveman said:
BatleyBlue said:
I can only assume that his instructions were to kick it towards the wings. Let's see if anything changes next season with new coaches and manager in place.
Willy at Malaga rarely goes long. Usually it's a roll out to a defender; but that defender needs to work hard to create space for himself!

Well that is all well and good in Spanish and Italian football as nobody closes down the keeper and defence like we do in England, this is also the reason some cultured centre half or indeed Garcia look flustered and hurried and their passing suffers accordingly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.