Goalkeeper distribution

bluemoondays

Time and again I see people complaining about Joe's distribution of the ball but, while I do agree it can use some work, why do people seem to assume a keeper can hit 40-50 yard passes and do it reliably.........?

Very few players.in the whole of the PL are good enough to do that and even the best passers of the ball probably have less than 50% pass rate when attempting these constantly. Why is a keeper expected to be different and be expected to punt 50 yard kicks and be expected to hit the target all the time?

Realistically, a keeper can only put it in the general area, it's up to the players near the ball to move to it and/or win the ball if it's 50/50. Joe is probably on a par with most other keepers in the PL, I'd guess most teams forums are wringing about their keepers kicking.......

Or he can play a short pass to the defence and not lose the ball every time.

I think one of the reasons Joe gets so much criticism - although he's better at it now - is that for a long time he had a reputation for putting the ball out for a throw-in when he was taking a goal kick - it just wouldn't even get close to where he was aiming. Any complaints we raise now are just a residual effect because we are used to moaning about his poor distribution - kind of like the way that City fans still prefer someone who runs around like a headless chicken but never stops trying to someone who doesn't track back but is always in the right place to get a shot off.

I don't think people are expecting pin point passes but if you use tonight as an example for Joe, he kicked 3 into touch and does do they same for City more than he should.

If Hart throws out or passes out his distribution is normally good. You may expect a keeper to have a better long distance kick as that's what they practice on the training pitch everyday.

He waits a few seconds too long when he could have thrown the ball or rolled it out. He doesn't seem to have the confidence in his defenders to play it out even when they are in loads of space. With our players we can usually play it out even when it's tight at the back.

Call me old fashioned, but its a big wide pitch so I have no idea why he feels the need to pinpoint the touchline to send the ball to. Just kick it down the middle!

There's no need nor no room for debate on this subject; Hart's distribution is poor, fact.

Playing the ball to the keeper shouldn't mean we hand it back to the opponent, which is the case far too often with Hart. He should work on it, and until he's much better at long range passing he should be instructed to only choose the short option unless absolutely called for.

That area (in particular) of Hart's qualities is what prevents him from being one of the best in the world. He could also be better in the air, at positioning on set pieces.

But he is very young, and will improve no doubt about it. We are very fortunate to have him that's for sure.

bluemoondays said:
Time and again I see people complaining about Joe's distribution of the ball but, while I do agree it can use some work, why do people seem to assume a keeper can hit 40-50 yard passes and do it reliably.........?

Very few players.in the whole of the PL are good enough to do that and even the best passers of the ball probably have less than 50% pass rate when attempting these constantly. Why is a keeper expected to be different and be expected to punt 50 yard kicks and be expected to hit the target all the time?

Realistically, a keeper can only put it in the general area, it's up to the players near the ball to move to it and/or win the ball if it's 50/50. Joe is probably on a par with most other keepers in the PL, I'd guess most teams forums are wringing about their keepers kicking.......

Good point. I often decry the efforts of our corner takers who, despite being professional footballer for a decade or more, seem incapable of planting the ball right on the head of an incoming attacker!! We do expect a bit more than is realistic at times!

mansour's tow ropes said:
Call me old fashioned, but its a big wide pitch so I have no idea why he feels the need to pinpoint the touchline to send the ball to. Just kick it down the middle!

To who, Aguero? Unless Dzeko is playing lumping it to Milner as he normally does is probably the best option aside from playing it short.<br /><br />-- Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:43 am --<br /><br />

To who, Aguero? Unless Dzeko is playing lumping it to Milner as he normally does is probably the best option aside from playing it short.

The theory is that when the GK hoofs the ball the defenders, who are facing the ball, win the header about 75% of the time. If they win it in the middle of the pitch they have options, can find one of their players and start an attack.

If the ball is directed towards the touchline the defender often heads the ball into touch. If they keep the ball in play there's a limited area for our players to defend so we have an equal chance of picking up the header.

I believe its been statistically proven that City win or regain possession twice as often when Hart pinpoints the touchlines rather than the middle of the pitch. It just looks a bit crap when he sends the ball into row Z.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.