Goals 2019/20 | League 102 | All Comps 148

97 goals in 37 games with 9 defeats is astonishing but the mad thing is that while we have been vulnerable defensively, we’ve missed a shit load of chances at the other end too.
We've lost games due to it too, games where we've had 20+ chances and scored 0 to 2, Southampton (26-8 on shots), both spurs games(19-3 away, 28-4 or something at home), wolves home (18-7) , norwich (25-7), undone by daft mistakes.

We've lost games due to it too, games where we've had 20+ chances and scored 0 to 2, Southampton (26-8 on shots), both spurs games(19-3 away, 28-4 or something at home), wolves home (18-7) , norwich (25-7), undone by daft mistakes.

The worst thing is that it's not that we just miss chances to get back in games, we usually concede because we miss a bunch of chances and everyone starts panicking a bit just before half time. The number of times we concede just after missing a chance ourselves is ridiculous.

If you look at the xG timelines of our losses, this is incredibly typical -

vYTRlBE.png

2 big chances, and 2 small chances before the Palace goal, and if we'd scored 1 or 2, we'd likely have gone on to win comfortably.

We've somehow gotten to a point where missing chances makes us panic it'll be "one of those games", and makes the opposition believe they've got a chance.

The best way to concede fewer against these small teams is just to score more.

And the key thing in those games is that I don’t remember anyone saying Krul, Patricio, Lloris, Moraes, or McCarthy were simply unbeatable on the day. It’s not like Hart against Dortmund or Barcelona, where one person just had one of those days. That I could accept. It’s more a case of collective poor finishing.

That's shocking stuff!

And the key thing in those games is that I don’t remember anyone saying Krul, Patricio, Lloris, Moraes, or McCarthy were simply unbeatable on the day. It’s not like Hart against Dortmund or Barcelona, where one person just had one of those days. That I could accept. It’s more a case of collective poor finishing.
that Southampton keeper got motm

I don't understand why it's so complicated for so many people. Both Liverpool and ourselves make significantly less mistakes than anyone else overall, however when we do make mistakes more of them lead to shots and goalscoring opportunities than average because our style of play (attacking) means we usually have less defenders around the ball to rectify those mistakes and pick up the second balls.
Defensive minded teams (e.g. shit ones) will make more mistakes overall but they'll have significantly more defensive players around them to bail them out of trouble.

The same concept is true when you look at opening goals; ourselves and Liverpool struggle more than most because there are significantly more defensive players to stop an attacker getting a clean shot away, forcing more or blocking shots. Just watch how many times bad decisions / VAR come to Liverpool and United's rescue for the opening goal because they're struggling.

Once we're in front that defensive energy which comes from protecting a point or three dissipates, hence why we are able to rack up cricket scores in some games. Just watch how many times bad decisions / VAR give us penalties when we don't need them to even things up.

Last edited:
Edit: Just checked and expected goals is a lot lower than I thought at 98.64 but Liverpool’s expected points are something like a whopping 20 less than they currently have.
That's our highest ever, with one game yet to go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.