Going to Bilbao in August

Did you pay cash for your flights? ATMs in Spain dispense Euros.
I've already moved them once from a may flight to dubrovnik. I was just thinking if it was going to be a load of messing I'd forfeit the flight and go in the uk instead.

Thanks for the responses, im a well seasoned traveller, usually 7/8 trips a year, just wasn't sure i could be arsed with any hassle. I'm going to go, i believe its a great city so why not. Thanks
Great city. If you can take a day trip to San Sebastian its worth it. If you were driving, you could go to Gaztelugatxeko on the way too (a filming location for Game of Thrones but impressive even if you have never seen the show).

The bars and restaurants will be open, not sure if there will be restrictions on other tourist things like the Guggenheim or a tour of the San Mames, but I'd have thought they would want to make money too, even if its reduced capacity.

I'm intending to go to Lisbon in August and accept there is some risk, but I believe its less than going to the supermarket or a pub here. Its a decision which affects me though and appreciate its different as you have to think about your lad too. There is risk in traveling at the minute, but I think its reduced risk at this stage, and its not going to go completely away for a while. I feel like I need to go abroad.

Having just returned from Paris over the weekend, the best piece of advice I can give is to fill in the UK Gov locator form online before you return.
You can do this 48 hours before your land back in the UK and download it to your phone as proof you've filled it in.
After a short queue on our return, we were waved through but there were hundreds of people standing around filling in forms (not socially distant) who then had to join an even longer queue before they could go to passport control.

Having just returned from Paris over the weekend, the best piece of advice I can give is to fill in the UK Gov locator form online before you return.
You can do this 48 hours before your land back in the UK and download it to your phone as proof you've filled it in.
After a short queue on our return, we were waved through but there were hundreds of people standing around filling in forms (not socially distant) who then had to join an even longer queue before they could go to passport control.
Thanks for the heads up.
Registered and email link ready to fill in.

I went to Majorca 11th to 18th July on the first TUI package since lockdown, filled in that form before returning to UK, but didn't have to do anything with it at Birmingham airport. Went through the passport e-gates as normal and straight out the airport, no temp checks, no questions, no form showing....such a joke.

My mate landed at Newcastle later same day and he had to show the form, so no idea why Birmingham was business as usual.

As the title suggests my 14 yo lad and i are booked to go bilbao on the 25th august for 4 days. Just wondering should i bother or not. Only booked the flights(in feb) . A few questions if any one can help.
1.are the airports a nightmare
2.is everything open in the bilbao region
3.i know you need the spanish health app to fly out, do i need anything for the return.
I'm thinking should i just forget the flight money and hope for a decent week of weather in the uk and holiday here. Cheers
A word of caution .. check for accommodation. That is Semana Grande in Bilbao and the city will be heaving for 8 days with Basques and Spaniards and northern European party animals all over. Its an 8 day fiesta from 22 August composed of morning hangovers, afternoons at the beach in Plenzia or the old Port in Algorta and the evenings of massive firework displays and the cream of bullfighting in Vista Allegre and drinking and eating until dawn in the City. The Metro will run all night and many people get off to Plenzia for a last drink at one of the rowing clubs and for a couple of hours of sleep under the rising sun. The weather is usually scorching hot but with one guaranteed evening downpour

Twenty years ago full recovery needed 5 or 6 days

Last years programme
http://www.bilbao.eus/cs/Satellite?c=Page&cid=1272990064303&language=en&pageid=1272990064303&pagename=Bilbaonet/Page/BIO_HomeFiestas

Last edited:
Great city. If you can take a day trip to San Sebastian its worth it. If you were driving, you could go to Gaztelugatxeko on the way too (a filming location for Game of Thrones but impressive even if you have never seen the show).

The bars and restaurants will be open, not sure if there will be restrictions on other tourist things like the Guggenheim or a tour of the San Mames, but I'd have thought they would want to make money too, even if its reduced capacity.

I'm intending to go to Lisbon in August and accept there is some risk, but I believe its less than going to the supermarket or a pub here. Its a decision which affects me though and appreciate its different as you have to think about your lad too. There is risk in traveling at the minute, but I think its reduced risk at this stage, and its not going to go completely away for a while. I feel like I need to go abroad.
Did to San Sebastian by train after City v Atletico in 69!

A word of caution .. check for accommodation. That is Semana Grande in Bilbao and the city will be heaving for 8 days with Basques and Spaniards and northern European party animals all over. Its an 8 day fiesta from 22 August composed of morning hangovers, afternoons at the beach in Plenzia or the old Port in Algorta and the evenings of massive firework displays and the cream of bullfighting in Vista Allegre and drinking and eating until dawn in the City. The Metro will run all night and many people get off to Plenzia for a last drink at one of the rowing clubs and for a couple of hours of sleep under the rising sun. The weather is usually scorching hot but with one guaranteed evening downpour

Twenty years ago full recovery needed 5 or 6 days

Last years programme
http://www.bilbao.eus/cs/Satellite?c=Page&cid=1272990064303&language=en&pageid=1272990064303&pagename=Bilbaonet/Page/BIO_HomeFiestas
Cancelled this years. Theres loads of decent accommodation pretty cheap

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.